business vehicle

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craigslist. Cash is king. I just bought a 2006 basic GMC Canyon SL for one of the pest control route techs for $7000. It has 26000 miles on it, automatic, vinyl floors, A/C and brand new tires with the nipples still on them. Not a scratch or ding on the thing (yet).

Nice truck. I picked up a used variation of the truck on craigslist this summer. Cash is the only way to go. I only wish it had that low mileage but it was a heck of a deal. Took it out today to let my welder buddy perform little welding to accommodate a weatherguard weekender ladder rack. Made for a fun day of driving.

Nice truck, John. I'd like to hear your opinions on it after you've had it for a while. I was going to buy one. I did a lot of online browsing for ladder racks. This is the one I settled on: http://www.inlad.com/doubledropdownladd ... mentId=807 It's kind of pricey, but I think you really need a drop-down rack, because the Transit Connect is so high. It can handle up to a 28' ladder.

I decided to not go with the connect, mainly because of the 2 liter engine. I'm going with a Ram cargo van. It has a 3.5 liter engine, and the mileage isn't that much worse than the Ford. It's only slightly more expensive, but considering I won't need an expensive drop-down rack, the total cost should be less. One near deal killer is that it has a liftgate instead of swinging doors. I won't be able to use the liftgate when I have a long ladder on top. I think Chrysler is really blowing it by not reconfiguring it with swinging doors. A lot of tradesmen that use ladders aren't even going to consider it because of that.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2012-r ... -info-news

Nice truck, John. I'd like to hear your opinions on it after you've had it for a while. I was going to buy one. I did a lot of online browsing for ladder racks. This is the one I settled on: http://www.inlad.com/doubledropdownladd ... mentId=807 It's kind of pricey, but I think you really need a drop-down rack, because the Transit Connect is so high. It can handle up to a 28' ladder.

I decided to not go with the connect, mainly because of the 2 liter engine. I'm going with a Ram cargo van. It has a 3.5 liter engine, and the mileage isn't that much worse than the Ford. It's only slightly more expensive, but considering I won't need an expensive drop-down rack, the total cost should be less. One near deal killer is that it has a liftgate instead of swinging doors. I won't be able to use the liftgate when I have a long ladder on top. I think Chrysler is really blowing it by not reconfiguring it with swinging doors. A lot of tradesmen that use ladders aren't even going to consider it because of that.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2012-r ... -info-news

Thanks for the extra info. I'm not about to pay $1500 for any roof rack. One of the heavy duty triple cross bar racks will do. It will set me back about 3 bills if I buy new. Never know, might find a used one. Anyway, as long as the rear most bar is way at the backside of the roof, I can flip my 28 footer over the back and kinda toss it up there. Then, open the side door and step up to pull it in place and tie down. I've envisioned this task in my mind already.

They say the 2L engine has poor acceleration. It's not that bad really. All my stuff is not that heavy like some other contractors. The thing that I like about the Transit is the fuel economy. While not fantastic, considering the utility advantage of the Transit, 21 city and 27 highway is fairly decent. The 21 city is where it really saves.

I figured that gas is more likely to be $5 per gallon than get anywhere near back to $2.

Got some cool features like reverse sonar, backup camera that automatically displays in the rear view mirror whenever the trans is in reverse, Bluetooth Microsync for hands free phone talk over car speakers and playing media from smart phone.

I'm just scratching the surface on learning about it. Been too busy working to even get familiar with it. Back door stops unhinge for full width clear access.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012111313423_reardoor.jpg

63.15?KB

... Now to find a decent rack. After all, every man loves a good rack.

JD,

Now that comment alone could lead me down a path of finding an image for a joke, but I would likely get my fingers slapped by Mike O. [:-slaphap

This one isn't too offensive:

Click to Enlarge
tn_20121113103333_long%20horn.jpg

35.12 KB

New cars are fun. Here's hoping you make your first payment before your first ding.

What's a mobile office other than a phone, a laptop and an internet connection?

Do people carry around desks and filing cabinets? A couch for afternoon naps? A water cooler to gather around with your customers?

It's a comfortable position to work on a laptop. Sit up straight and no twisting to the side causing back pain. Small platform directly in front of seated position. Small platform to the right for mouse pad. I prefer wireless mouse over touch pad.

A mobile office is a seat in your vehicle that's as comfortable as the chair at home. There's a place to secure the laptop while you type and a flat surface for clip boards. documents, etc. A printer is available. There's air conditioning, heating and 120v AC power that are provided separately from the engine under the hood so it's not interrupted at all from the beginning of the workday to the end. There's printed resources and all sorts of chargers for battery powered equipment that you use. There's a driver in the driver's seat that's also taking care of all incoming/outgoing phone calls, fetches your ladder, instruments, maintains the vehicle, etc and takes you to lunch while you're busy typing out a report and prepping for the next inspection. There's an extra chair or two for your client or Big Hair Betty to sit on a 100 degree summer day when the house has no power or you're delivering a verbal report.

That was the short version. The long version would draw the wrath of the moderators.

Driving is a waste of time when you're an inspector.

Marc

No modifications needed for comfortable laptop working position. I discovered that the rear seat position directly behind the driver is perfect. The flat bench seat makes a suitable platform for wireless mouse. Slide the drivers seat fully forward and you've got tons of leg room too. In the picture, the drivers seat is not in the forward position so imagine at least another 6" of leg room from what the picture shows.

Perfect.....

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012111913138_photo%20(1).jpg

65.2 KB