More aluminum wiring mistakes

Charlie R

That's a new duplex receptacle rated CO/ALR and is suitable for 10 or 12 gauge aluminum wire. The pigtails are there to increase the billable hours rather than improve the safety of the system.

The electrician is an idgit.

Serious question, are all new receptacles rated CO/ALR??? or can you actually see it on there? I didn't think the 39 cent recepts were CO/ALR, just the $2 ones.

The giant bar code sticker made me think it was new, and from a big box. I searched "15 amp duplex receptacle" and the first one that popped up was at Lowes.

Now I'm gonna have to stop and look.

I can get CO/ALR duplex receptacles at any big box store here in Montreal (even the little box ones carry them... ) They have always been a specialty receptacle, not with the CU only rated plugs. The AL bonding wire IMHO is fine to the box as it shouldn't really carry any real current, so no heat. It's just a bonding wire.

Although I had one break off around a screw head when I pulled a receptacle out of the box one time. It's a good thing it broke around the screw head and not higher up, or I would have problems re-attaching it. From now on, I just look by removing a cover if I feel the need.