Venting questions...

JosephVelder

a word of warning, in 1999 I built an addition with a bathroom, kitchen and laundry room. They are all vented appropriately and have worked fine for years but lately the washing machine drain is causing "glugging" in the kitchen sink. I opened the wall behind the washer to confirm a vent, check. I went on the roof to confirm the vent was clear, check. If I had it to do again I would separate the washing machine and make it 2" instead of 1.5". I'm still trying to figure this thing out.

a word of warning, in 1999 I built an addition with a bathroom, kitchen and laundry room. They are all vented appropriately and have worked fine for years but lately the washing machine drain is causing "glugging" in the kitchen sink. I opened the wall behind the washer to confirm a vent, check. I went on the roof to confirm the vent was clear, check. If I had it to do again I would separate the washing machine and make it 2" instead of 1.5". I'm still trying to figure this thing out.

Minimum laundry vent has been 2" for a lot of years. Then, there's the (somewhat antiquated) suds zone consideration.

I'd rethink the "vented appropriately" comment.

FWIW ... The City of West Monroe has adopted the Louisiana State Uniform Construction Code.

I'm not even going to try and guess what that actually may be and would rather leave the opining on that to Marc !! [:P]

From my perusing of their (City of West Monroe) website and FAQ it does not appear they require a permit for a new home construction. That is assuming that your home is being built "within" the city limits of West Monroe.

City of West Monroe, LA ... adopts codes

From 2012 IRC regarding drainage vent termination clearances.

P3103.5 Location of vent terminal.

An open vent terminal from a drainage system shall not be located less than 4 feet (1219 mm) directly beneath any door, openable window, or other air intake opening of the building or of an adjacent building, nor shall any such vent terminal be within 10 feet (3048 mm) horizontally of such an opening unless it is not less than 3 feet (914 mm) above the top of such opening.

From 2012 IRC regarding drainage vent termination clearances.

P3103.5 Location of vent terminal.

An open vent terminal from a drainage system shall not be located less than 4 feet (1219 mm) directly beneath any door, openable window, or other air intake opening of the building or of an adjacent building, nor shall any such vent terminal be within 10 feet (3048 mm) horizontally of such an opening unless it is not less than 3 feet (914 mm) above the top of such opening.

....crap

FWIW ... The City of West Monroe has adopted the Louisiana State Uniform Construction Code.

I'm not even going to try and guess what that actually may be and would rather leave the opining on that to Marc !! [:P]

From my perusing of their (City of West Monroe) website and FAQ it does not appear they require a permit for a new home construction. That is assuming that your home is being built "within" the city limits of West Monroe.

City of West Monroe, LA ... adopts codes

The Louisiana State government decides which laws are going to be adopted within the state but leaves enforcement to the individual cities and parishes. When a city or parish says it's adopting the LA codes, it's really saying that they've finally given in to pressure from the Uniform Construction Code Council and has established a code enforcement authority. The Council has been pushing for cities and parishes everywhere to begin enforcing codes ever since hurricane Katrina did $50 billion in damage in 2006.

Like Nolan suggested, West Monroe seems to have some sort of enforcement started but it's very limited and more likely intended to appease Code Council demands.

I wouldn't be surprised if Joseph succeeds in getting his house built and able to move in with nary a blink from the City.

Marc

The Louisiana State government decides which laws are going to be adopted within the state but leaves enforcement to the individual cities and parishes. When a city or parish says it's adopting the LA codes, it's really saying that they've finally given in to pressure from the Uniform Construction Code Council and has established a code enforcement authority. The Council has been pushing for cities and parishes everywhere to begin enforcing codes ever since hurricane Katrina did $50 billion in damage in 2006.

Like Nolan suggested, West Monroe seems to have some sort of enforcement started but it's very limited and more likely intended to appease Code Council demands.

I wouldn't be surprised if Joseph succeeds in getting his house built and able to move in with nary a blink from the City.

Marc

I can't decide whats worse, over regulation or no regulation.

Here one needs a permit to replace a roof cover, and in at least one 'historic district' the committee has to approve colors.