Venting questions...

JosephVelder

3 1/2"?? Where'd that come from? There's 2", 3", 4".

BTW Joseph, you're pretty doggone good with Paint.

Marc

i googled those oddball sizes and found this site.

http://www.spudtech.com/detail.asp?id=34

I know this is 2" but who knew there was a call for rifled pvc??

Rifled PVC?! It's time for Daddy to add to his potato cannon collection!!

a word of warning, in 1999 I built an addition with a bathroom, kitchen and laundry room. They are all vented appropriately and have worked fine for years but lately the washing machine drain is causing "glugging" in the kitchen sink. I opened the wall behind the washer to confirm a vent, check. I went on the roof to confirm the vent was clear, check. If I had it to do again I would separate the washing machine and make it 2" instead of 1.5". I'm still trying to figure this thing out.

Minimum laundry vent has been 2" for a lot of years. Then, there's the (somewhat antiquated) suds zone consideration.

I'd rethink the "vented appropriately" comment.

Yeah well I did this project with only a handful of experience and the city inspector never bothered to come by. It seems to be the only problem I've come across since I built it 13 years ago. The ONLY things I didn't do myself was mix the concrete for the footer and set the condensate lines/ charge them.

a word of warning, in 1999 I built an addition with a bathroom, kitchen and laundry room. They are all vented appropriately and have worked fine for years but lately the washing machine drain is causing "glugging" in the kitchen sink. I opened the wall behind the washer to confirm a vent, check. I went on the roof to confirm the vent was clear, check. If I had it to do again I would separate the washing machine and make it 2" instead of 1.5". I'm still trying to figure this thing out.

Minimum laundry vent has been 2" for a lot of years. Then, there's the (somewhat antiquated) suds zone consideration.

Yeah well I did this project with only a handful of experience and the city inspector never bothered to come by. It seems to be the only problem I've come across since I built it 13 years ago. The ONLY things I didn't do myself was mix the concrete for the footer and set the condensate lines/ charge them.

Do you have a dishwasher on that drain as well? I used to have problems in my previous house from DW soap and grease building up in the drain. It is a nasty white fat that sticks to the pipes especially if the drain is a bit sluggish to begin with.

Do you have a dishwasher on that drain as well? I used to have problems in my previous house from DW soap and grease building up in the drain. It is a nasty white fat that sticks to the pipes especially if the drain is a bit sluggish to begin with.

Sure do.....but it seems like that would force the suction from the vent at the washer rather than from the kitchen sink downstairs....doesn't it?

Eric, I'm suggesting what could have changed over the years? Clogging of the drain below the sink, making the wash water back up when the tub is emptying. Just guessing. But that was a re-occurring problem with one of my previous places where the kitchen and laundry room shared a drain.

Joseph, sorry for the drift. Yes, use 2" for laundry vents. Did I mention I'm not a plumber? [:)]

I was only noting the vent being incorrect, therefore not appropriate. I'm sure you worked very hard on your project.

I think I'm going to go back in behind the washing machine to see if I can retrofit a 2" vent. To roof is only 2' away so It shouldn't be too hard.

Also, my apologies for the helping the thread drift...

I honestly doubt the bigger vent would help, but if things are not correct, results are unpredictable and it makes it much harder to track the problems down in any linear fashion.

My bet is the drain is clogged up with grease; dishwasher drains do get tremendously clogged with that whitish slop Kogel described.

You do have 2" drains from the laundry and shower, yes?