Rusted Nipple and Inlet on Water Tank

Mike Lamb

Seems to me that Mike L was referring to the fitting on the tank itself. It looks badly corroded. I haven't dissected a water heater lately but my guess is that female fitting is welded to the tank.

Marc

Right. The last water heater I installed had flush female fittings at the top of the tank. I don't know if these can be removed with an easy-out.

You might get lucky. How important is it to gamble?

That is the location where my old heater failed, and it didn't look bad at all. When it failed, it went big time. Pop, geyser in the basement. Thankfully I was home at the time.

You're taking large chances if you don't change out the heater.

You might get lucky. How important is it to gamble?

That is the location where my old heater failed, and it didn't look bad at all. When it failed, it went big time. Pop, geyser in the basement. Thankfully I was home at the time.

You're taking large chances if you don't change out the heater.

That's why I was wondering about how the manufacturer installs the inlet. Is it fixable or do you replace a 6 yr old 75 gallon tank? I'll see if I can talk to General on Mon.

Don't know about ChiTown.

Around here a 50 - 60 gallon tank will last about 10 to 15 years if it's properly maintained and a 75 to 80 gallon tank can last nearly twice as long because it goes through fewer heat/cold exchanges.

In the abscence of anything indicating a serious problem with the tank, I'd replace that nipple and half of that union for less than $30 in parts before I'd replace a 6-y.o. water heater.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

It used to be that way in Chicago too. I still occasionally see 45 year old water tanks.

Tanks ain't what they used to be. The "mfg." is somewhere in Asia or Singapore, and who knows how the hell they were assembled.

I agree with you on principle, but not on practical experience. Water heaters are just another disposable commodity nowadays, mfg. to pretty lousy standards.

I thought they were assembled in Ashland, not mfg. The tanks come from Asia, or so I was informed a few years back. Maybe it's changed back, a hopeful sign for American mfg.

Does anyone else remember when there was that communique about no tanks being made in America anymore? The last was State, and they went offshore a few years back.

AO Smith made the tanks in Ashland City, up till May 2010. Then we had a little flood in Mid-TN that put about 30' of water over the AO Smith property. I think they opened the plant back up this past summer but prior to that they were made elsewhere. Our ASHI Chapter did a tour of the AO Smith plant back in 2007, pretty neat plant and they made the tanks on site back then.

I think States was also an AO Smith product.