Drywall repair?

Denray

I think that might be the way to go. I don't think it will be easy tho, because the mud will shrink and sag. It will take a lot of layers to fill, and then it might be prone to cracking. But with tape, might work OK.

Cutting the backer board flush with the tiles is not going to be easy, but then you could fill the gaps with strips of drywall and only have to mud a seam.

Cut the existing drywall corner away, shim out a new drywall strip that goes from the tiles to the corner. That's a messy job, but eliminates that tricky seam. You then would have a corner bead to do.

If you can find some of that white hardboard, it might bring those gaps up flush to the existing drywall. I've has decent success taping and plastering drywall to wood transitions on corners of closet openings if the wood is clean.

Why didn't you figure this out before you got the tiles up? [:)]

Just a heads up, but if you layout the tile on the ground and get a number, then install your filler strip before you ever start tiling. Have your drywall overlap the outer edge of the tile by roughly 1/4". You can sand the compound much easier when it's still roughly a flat wall, and the overlapped edge will make for a clean detail on the end product.

I know it's too late now, but for the next time give it a try.

John K, "Why didn't you figure this out before you got the tiles up"?

I be ignant. I don't come from a construction background.

Had 8th grade wood shop, made some dressers, hung all the doors and made the jams from scratch and did all the interior finish work at our house 20+ years ago. This was my 6th tile job in our house.

I'm still working on being as knowledgeable as Mike O was when he was 10.[:-bigeyes

Agree with Ben, the time to do this was before any tile was set. Install the tile backer board an inch or so back from the extent of the tile, install drywall up to it, tape/sand/prime/paint the drywall, install the tile, using caulk that matches the grout at the edge of the tile.

It will take very skilled drywall finishing now that it's already tiled.