Today's Inspection 1870

Mark P

House in Troy, IL built in 1870 and on the National Register of Historic Places. Really cool and enjoyable inspection.

The car is 1939 - orginal owner.

What is this "style" of home?

The gutters are all copper and not visible from the ground they are sort of built into the edge of the roof. Is there a term for this type of guttering system?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 004.jpg

135.92 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013124152044_005.jpg

60.74 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013124152057_006.jpg

57.65 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013124152110_007.jpg

62.92 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013124152123_017.jpg

72.87 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013124152135_023.jpg

49.3 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013124152148_028.jpg

62.88 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013124152159_044.jpg

78.28 KB

Thanks for the link to the Historic Buildings. I really need to sit down and learn the different architectural styles. Any other sources any one have?

Regarding the box gutters, the ones on this house looked to be copper. The seams are just caulked. From the ground I found what looked like water damage to the soffitt at the highest point on the house. No attic in that look-out to see inside. Would it just be a matter of someone sealing (caulking ) the gutter seam at the suspected leak location?

Thanks for the link to the Historic Buildings. I really need to sit down and learn the different architectural styles. Any other sources any one have?

Regarding the box gutters, the ones on this house looked to be copper. The seams are just caulked. From the ground I found what looked like water damage to the soffitt at the highest point on the house. No attic in that look-out to see inside. Would it just be a matter of someone sealing (caulking ) the gutter seam at the suspected leak location?

Joints on copper need to be soldered.

Yup. Caulk only hides the problem for a while. You have to be really careful looking @ built in gutters; there can be all sorts of rot in the rafter tails and adjacent eave woodwork that's not visible or detectable until you get right up close and personal to it.

It's not uncommon to set the ladder up, climb up the eave, and find someone's done a bondo job on brackets and other decorative elements.

We sometimes call them inlaid gutters, but mostly built in.