I know that this home has a main waste line..

Scottpat

This was a first for me. The main line was on the ground and covered with the moisture barrier. When I first went in the crawl it took me a few moments to realize that I could not see the PVC waste lines that are normally suspended from the joist.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013125104020_DSCN1543.jpg

53.33 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201312510415_DSCN1545.jpg

61.57 KB

Iron. Can't use plastic underground in Chicago. Local 130.

You know, I never thought about uplift with plastic...I never see it. Is uplift restraint required with plastic?

As far as I know, uplift isn't a problem with cast iron or galvanized steel. At least I've never seen it cause a problem.

Plastic DWV is supposed to be restrained. Sometimes it arrives on the jobsite with a bit of a curve in it, like a keel on a boat. Even if it's straight when it's installed, it can lever up afterward, as other pipes are fitted to it. And sometimes, it bounces up & down when a big slug of water runs through it.

No soil, crushed limestone fill of about two feet. We always see them suspended due to the unevenness of the land. I just do not see how they can get a proper slope when it is on the ground.

Why would anyone fill a 6' deep walker with 2' of stone and make it into a crawl?

It would have been cheaper to place a slab.

This was a hands and knees crawls, not a walker.... Stone is cheap in our area, we have more rock than dirt! I must admit that the stone does not make for a comfortable crawl but it sure does help to make for dry crawl most of the time.

No soil, crushed limestone fill of about two feet. We always see them suspended due to the unevenness of the land. I just do not see how they can get a proper slope when it is on the ground.

Why would anyone fill a 6' deep walker with 2' of stone and make it into a crawl?

It would have been cheaper to place a slab.

This was a hands and knees crawls, not a walker.... Stone is cheap in our area, we have more rock than dirt! I must admit that the stone does not make for a comfortable crawl but it sure does help to make for dry crawl most of the time.

Yeah,

That's what some of the high-end builders do around here in wet areas. They'll sink a deep foundation, figure out where the high water line will be and then they fill to at least a foot above that line with stone; course stuff topped with a layer of pea gravel. Very comfortable to crawl around on. Nice flat crawl. Dry as a bone...until you dig down deep into that stone and find the water.

Works great as long as the barrier is correct. When it's not correct it's like having a big humidifier plugged in under the house.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike