What do you charge for your inspections?

What would you charge for the following homes?

1. 1,200 sq ft single story ranch with basement

2. 1,000 sq ft home on slab only

3. 2,500 sq ft 2 story home with basement

4. 4,000 sq ft 3 story home with basement

also, do you charge by the size of the home only or do you change how much you charge considering age?

Want to thank you guys for being so helpful, without this forum and you guys, starting this business would have been much harder and more scary! [:-crazy]

I have a flat fee for single family homes up to 5 bedrooms. I charge extra for travel outside of my normal work area. I also charge extra for houses with more than 5 bedrooms and/or 3 1/2 bathrooms.

Regardless of the size of the house I still have to inspect the same things. If there is an extra bedroom or two, or even if there is an extra bathroom, it does not take that much more time. On occasion I will reduce my fee if I finish my inspection and it was less work than anticipated.

It is my experience that many times the small houses in lower income areas are more work than large expensive houses because they have not been properly maintained and there are lots of problems.

I am priced towards the high side of my competition but I explain my qualifications and experience and that I charge more because they are getting more from me. If they are shopping solely on price I tell them that I am not their inspector.

Hi Brian,

I doubt if Mike will allow open discussion on that topic, based on past experience. There are some concerns about laws regarding price fixing, which some believe apply to such online conversations and some don't. Whichever the case may be, it's Mike's forum. I suggest asking members via email. I'm sure some of the guys won't mind saying in private.

Brian G.

All I Can Get! [;)]

Talk about price fixing, Realtors charge what? let see if I remember, ahhhhh, ahhhhh, was it Ne-got-iable?, ahhhh, hmmmm, the price of gas, my electric bill, mmmmmm, yea there was some competition somewhere in there ..... absurd

When was the last time an AG brought a price fixing case? late 1970s.... Oh forgot about Microsoft, yea... they got off. I'm getting this picture of swords and windmills..... swish, swish,

I charge a flat fee for now. I'm still getting calls about how someone else quoted x$s less and if I would price match (Answer is usually No). So I figure I'm middle of the road Price wise but there are only about half of the inspectors I know of that do more than 1 hour inspections.

It's amazing, no matter what Barber shop I go to, they all charge $12.00! But I guess a hair cut is much more important than the house you live in.

Mike Garcia

Inspections By day, Bueaty school by night.[:-mohawk]

Originally posted by Garcha

So I figure I'm middle of the road Price wise but there are only about half of the inspectors I know of that do more than 1 hour inspections.

When I get calls from people who are shopping around I always tell them they should also be asking how long it will take. Yeah I know, a longer inspection doesn't guarantee quality either, but if one guy says an hour and the next says 3 or 4, who would you bet your money on?

Brian G.

Only in a Hurry When I'm Late For Supper [:P]

When I get calls from people who are shopping around I always tell them they should also be asking how long it will take. Yeah I know, a longer inspection doesn't guarantee quality either, but if one guy says an hour and the next says 3 or 4, who would you bet your money on?

Brian G.

Only in a Hurry When I'm Late For Supper

So that's why everyone ask how long an inspection takes! I gotta get over that thirty minute mark![;)]

We charge a Inspection Setup Fee + Inspector Hourly Rate (2 Hour Minimum) + Mileage

The present Inspection Setup Fee is at $100.00

The present Inspector Hourly Rate is at $75.00

The Mileage (Mileage is determine by Map Quest from VCSI location to property site address)

1. 0 - 25 miles included in Setup Fee

2. 26 - 100 miles @ $1.00 per mile one way

3. 101 - 200 miles @ $2.00 per mile one way

4. over 201 miles negotiable

Client or Client's Agent is the timekeeper if present at inspection of property. The hourly time starts at the schedule time of appointment or agreed start time by Client or Client's Agent and the VCSI Inspector. The total time is agreed by Client or Client's Agent and VCSI Inspector.

We take a Date/ Time stamp photo of the front property when we start and when we finish the Inspection for time verification.

The Setup Fee, Inspector’s Minimum Hourly Fee and Mileage is payable up front unless the Client has a account with us. Any extra hourly fee is collected prior to Report being given to Client or Client’s Agent unless a accout has been setup.

Originally posted by homnspector

How is it different to tell another home inspector your pricing or to tell a client your pricing, whether on a forum or not. My price list is posted on my web site, no big secret.

Because telling a client is not colluding to fix prices. Posting your fee is not price fixing; it's posting your fee. Talking amongst large #'s of your peers on the internet about pricing can absotively, posolutely be construed as price fixing.

Smart folks don't do it. That's why this thread should fade away.

Gotta go with Chuck on this one. Never seen a price fixin' case on HI's or any trades for that matter. I put this issue right up there with the "If you quote Codes you'll get sued if you miss one code violation" issue. I've seen this issue pop up on forums ranging from lawn service to HVAC and some sweat it, some don't. Last time I looked, AG's had bigger fish to fry that some trade bums discussing how much their charging.

Now when we all get together and agree to a $500 per hour fee, now that might get someones attention.

I'm kinda w/Les on this one. Likelihood? Small. Possible? Very.

If you've ever worked for a gov't. bureaucracy, and I have, strange little things become hot buttons for lots of obscure reasons.

It's just not smart; everyone here wants to be smart, no?

Originally posted by Les

Donald, when was the last time you looked?

The day I first read this post. I actually go look everytime this issue pops up on a forum somewhere. I'm sure I'm lacking in the law research field, so I just google "price fixing lawsuit" plus a few other terms and see what turns up.

Visa, Vitamins, music CD's and real estate...that's about it...nothing on a bunch of HI's chatting on a forum.

Nothing this time except something about a home inspector being sued because he quoted Code....[:-eyebrow

We live in a free society. Some feel that they can do anything they want until a judge tells them they cannot. Others feel regulated to the nth degree and fear their own shadows, and the full gambit of everything in between. Everyone must decide for themselves. No one should take this as a personal attack. You are, who you are.

A quick check of Sherman Act (15 U.S.C. 1-7) and the Clayton Act (15 U.S.C. 12-27) and Antitrust law of which Price Fixing is the main focus; this is what the Supreme Court ruled.

The goal of antitrust laws is to shelter trade and commerce from price fixing, monopolies, etc., and to foster competition. The Sherman Act does not outlaw price uniformity. An accidental or incidental price uniformity, or even pure, conscious price parallelism, is not itself unlawful. Furthermore, a competitor's independent decision to follow price leadership does not constitute a violation of the law.

The most recent price fixing cases involve the American Tobacco Industry, Dairy farmers and milk prices, and foreign dumping of products on US markets. A home inspector is more likely to win the lottery, than to ever be charged under any federal statue referring to anything he says or does concerning his pricing. Even if you never buy a ticket. (The lottery being a poor mans tax on stupidity.)

Martha Stewart lied during a federal investigation.

Yea, I know that Martha told a little fib, but it did not hurt one person. It was shown that what she did had no impact on anyone, but herself. She just told a little lie. I just find it sad the amount of resources the US spent on her and we have folks who are dying because they can't afford medical care or prescription drugs in the US.I guess it is all about a persons priority in life and that prosecutor had his priority's wrong in my opinion.

Now they are getting ready to do the same thing to Raphael for saying he has never taken steroids!

Originally posted by Scottpat

Yea, I know that Martha told a little fib, but it did not hurt one person. It was shown that what she did had no impact on anyone, but herself. She just told a little lie. I just find it sad the amount of resources the US spent on her and we have folks who are dying because they can't afford medical care or prescription drugs in the US.I guess it is all about a persons priority in life and that prosecutor had his priority's wrong in my opinion.

Now they are getting ready to do the same thing to Raphael for saying he has never taken steroids!

I'll continue to derail this train wreck.

Martha Stewart (and her ilk) hurt a lot of small investors like myself. Everytime an inside trade goes down, Joe investor gets it in the shorts. When they sneak out the back door with inside information, the little guys pay for it.

I personally don't think a few HI's discussing price is a big issue. We're still gonna get low-balled by the puppy mill inspectors.

This get's into interesting ethical considerations.

Martha told just a little lie; to the Federal gov't., in a venue where it is understood that you tell what you know. She, essentially, gave the gov't the finger. She got what she deserved.

Taking the course of "it's just a little lie", well, that means no one has to respect anything or anyone. I'm kinda surprised that folks are willing to let this stuff slide.