Electrical connection to a Chiller Unit

Harley

Not sure if this one does but, most chillers we've dealt with have at some point, be it faulty operation or some other problem have. I just don't remember ever seeing one not flexed in until now and I was just wondering if it was a code violation. In my mind I would treat it like any other piece of equipment with a large motor on it and flex it in.

Not sure if this one does but, most chillers we've dealt with have at some point, be it faulty operation or some other problem have. I just don't remember ever seeing one not flexed in until now and I was just wondering if it was a code violation. In my mind I would treat it like any other piece of equipment with a large motor on it and flex it in.

I don't know of an NEC rule that prohibits it, but good design requires a flex connection at anything that will vibrate.

I recall looking at a pair of these at a converted high school last year when I was taking a commercial inspection course. If memory serves, there were large coil springs and rubber dampers under all four corners of those things to prevent damage during a quake and to accommodate torque movement when they started up.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

It is a 5kv unit and flex is allowed however, some specifications want the flex painted red. Problem solved they claimed it was hard piped in to hold the conduit in place until the flex and connectors could arrive on site. Thank you to all, and have a good weekend!