Ford Transit Cons

It's fine with me. I like making mechanical things work. An engine under load is music to my ears. I drove it home from the dealer and put the rack and ladders on top from the get go. I bet without that stuff on the roof the transmission kick downs wouldn't be happening. Quite a bit of drag at 70mph with that stuff up there.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201313101358_lrack2.jpg

47.1?KB

I used to carry my 28' extension ladder 24/7. Nowadays I Google the house before the inspection to see what ladder I'll need for the roof. I'm going on close to 3 weeks without needing to load the ladder. I'm able to use my 15' Extend n' Climb for most everything.

I love driving around without the long ladder on my roof.

Ditto, Bing maps with the bird's eye view lets me look at the vast majority of homes and the big ladder stays at home unless it is needed.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... I had a good talk with a trades-guy the other day.. he can't stand the Transit.. Says the back is too small to really put stuff in, he's had the thing in the shop for brakes, front-end stuff and mentioned the poor HWY/Wind thing..

I think I'll stay with my E-150 bomber.. It has predictable issues that they all have (front end)... but is over-powered and is great for the most part... which is why we see so many millions of them on the road.. :)

Hmm... I had a good talk with a trades-guy the other day.. he can't stand the Transit.. Says the back is too small to really put stuff in, he's had the thing in the shop for brakes, front-end stuff and mentioned the poor HWY/Wind thing..

I think I'll stay with my E-150 bomber.. It has predictable issues that they all have (front end)... but is over-powered and is great for the most part... which is why we see so many millions of them on the road.. :)

Without specifics it's difficult to say whether those things were normal maintenance issues or some kind of unusual condition. Both brakes and front end components fall into the category of normal maintenance items. If the trade guy is driving a vehicle that he does not actually own, those ones are often abused pretty badly.

Mine is still to young to reveal any unusual maintenance issues but as time goes by, I'll post anything I find that not normal.

Don't want to get all Ford vs. Chevy and all that but I've had both; a Ford Econoline van I drove for 6+ years with nary a problem - 100,000 miles.

Now I've been driving a Chevy Astro for close to 6 years (and my wife has a Chevy Uplander) and there always seems to be something wrong. From a bad transmission (Uplander) to arm rests falling apart, to door latches and locks malfunctioning.

No wonder GM went bankrupt. . . .

Sorento wins in the HP department but I'll get to my appointments 30 mins early regardless of how much HP my engine has.

Transit wins in cargo volume and load capacity.

I can put 1400lbs of 4x8 sheathing in the back and drive away. Try that with the Sorento.

I think my next vehicle, the Ram cargo van has them both beat. With the passenger seat out, a 3 section 28' extension ladder will fit INSIDE. I just have to check with my mechanic to see if it will pass annual inspection without a passenger seat.

Transit Connect/Sorrento/Ram CV

• 2 weeks later...

I will admit, for a dedicated home inspection business vehicle, there are choices that are better than a Ford Transit. In my case, it's not a dedicated inspection vehicle. It's also a hauler for general family use. It can seat up to 5 if needed and it provides me a comfortable place on the rear bench seat for laptop PC work.

Not only did I pass my Cherokee down in the family, I also traded in the Dakota pickup and bought a Ford Escape for the Mrs. For me, the Transit can do all the hauling work that the Dakota would do. So, I replaced two vehicles with one.

As far as the Caravan cargo model, what can it do that a Caravan passenger model cannot?

As far as the Caravan cargo model, what can it do that a Caravan passenger model cannot?

There isn't a whole lot of difference. The C/V has a flat aluminum floor in the cargo compartment and is 360 pounds lighter than the passenger van. It also has beefier suspension, radiator, transmission oil cooler and steering components. You have to pay extra if you want glass in the back.

I'd probably go with the passenger model if I planned on using it for occasional trips with the grand kids, like I currently do with my Mazda MPV, but I plan on keeping the Mazda. It's 10 years old with 160,000 miles, has the original exhaust system and drives the same as it did when it was brand new.

No, I'd have no use for a work station. I only work on reports in my home office. Occasionally I need a place to do paperwork with clients outside of the house. I stack my Little Giants with carpeted plywood between them. I can partially pull out a plywood section and create a desk of sorts. The open tailgate creates cover if it's raining.

For working on a laptop, a computer stand in the front of the van might be enough of a work station. The seat is already there, so you may as well use it.

http://www.americanvan.com/mobile-offic ... ter-stands

I am constantly amazed at my E-150... 'never' a problem with the transmission, engine, starting, run, etc.. Nothing... I just lay the 21' LG, 13" LG, a chicken ladder in the back and other stuff in tubs and I'm set to go.. If I do a gig (once in a while), I pull the stuff out and plop the amp and guitars in.. ready to go.. !

Front-end parts are not great... everything else is fine..

Other thing was this snowstorm recently.. I will miss the 'high elevation' view that the E-150 gives you.. the snowbanks on the interstate ramps were very high...even at the height I sit, it was hard... The thing stinks in the snow of course, but if you plan your moves properly, bring sand and don't do dumb things.. it's a piece of cake.. I just get the feeling the Transit Connect would not like the same conditions..

Look who else likes the Caravan Cargo. I'll go as far to bet that the USPS interest in the platform is what made it a reality and a profitable production effort by the maker.

Talk about a stripped model though.

"Hubcaps? We don't need no stinking hubcaps."

I'll say this too. Ain't no way the 3.5 is gonna be as easy on gas as the 2.0 in the Transit. On the highway, close. In town, no way. The listed mileage and reality are usually a notable difference.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013216192325_cv.jpg

54.12 KB

Isn't that a private mail carrier, under contract with the USPS?

Marc

No. That is a USPS owned van. It is not intended as a curbside delivery vehicle. It has left hand drive. City letter carriers will still use them since they make all their deliveries on foot. They also use them to disperse mail in lock boxes throughout delivery areas. As a carrier walks and empties their satchel, they come upon another lock box, reload the satchel and continue walking.

Marc, this might be the van you've been waiting for. There will be a high top version that you can stand in, has front wheel drive, a diesel engine option and it will be cheaper than a Sprinter.

The video doesn't have an audio track.

[utube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJhbtyWjjrI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">

Marc, this might be the van you've been waiting for. There will be a high top version that you can stand in, has front wheel drive, a diesel engine option and it will be cheaper than a Sprinter.

The video doesn't have an audio track.

[utube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJhbtyWjjrI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">

Looks promising. The diesel option is only 3 liters but still has about 240 hp which is great for a low rpm power plant. I just wonder who made it. I'm guessing it won't be Cummins.

Marc

"ProMaster uses Fiat's 174-horsepower, 3.0-liter inline four-cylinder EcoDiesel engine that gives 295 lb.-ft. peak torque at 1,400 rpm. The 16-valve, dual-overhead cam engine has a 29,000-psi common-rail fuel-delivery system. New to Ram, the engine has been used in North America (by Mitsubishi Fuso trucks) for some time."

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/ProMaster.html

• 1 year later...

It's under powered for the loads imposed on it.

I concede this is correct. I have put my ladder rack and 28' ext ladder aside. I am experimenting with Little Giant Revolution XE 26'. It fits inside the Transit so there is no more wind drag of rack or extension ladder on roof. The XE 26' gets me just about everywhere the 28' ext would. I carry the XE 26' along the passenger side windows so it does hamper my view on that side somewhat. I have plans to hang the steel rack I used to have on my Cherokee inside the Transit. I'll invert it on the ceiling and slide the Little Giant up there and regain my full view.

Preliminary trial is going well and the little Transit engine and transmission are happier (especially on the highway).

I'll post some pics of the interior mounted inverted rack once I get it done.

Here's how the new ladder sits for now.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014327221111_ph1.jpg

62.46 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014327221125_ph2.jpg

43.83 KB

Why don't you just lay it on the floor and shove it up between the seats? No heavy lifting, slides in and out, no blocking your view.

My transit is a passenger model. It has a split rear bench seat, (of which I have the passenger side 1/3 removed). The remaining 2/3 of the rear bench seat makes a very comfortable space to do office work like report writing. I couldn't have that space with the ladder in the position you suggest.

The ceiling is high enough so I'll be mounting racks hanging from the ceiling. I've measured it out and it should work perfect. Headroom in these things is heavenly. I won't even know its up there. The step ladder can just lay on the floor like seen in the pics.