Posting Inspection Fees on your website

Yooper

Then your loosing jobs. Some (most?) people like to haggle. In some cultures not haggling is considered offensive or distrustful.

While we may be in the business of selling trust, we are very definitely in the business of selling. Listen to your clients, they'll tell you what they expect, they tell you if they want to dicker, and they very often tell you how much they expect to spend.

I seldom will work a Saturday, with a 16 year old son who plays competitive travel basketball I really need my weekends free. But, if I have a free Saturday I will book an inspection but I charge an additional premium for it. Yesterday I had a person (Lets call him Bob, and English is not his native language!) He wanted a 7,000sf building inspected I gave him the fee and then he tells me that it must be done on a Saturday. When I told him that was not a problem but I charge an "overtime/weekend/" fee of $100 he actually became semi-belligerent and demanded that I honor my first fee I quoted him. Bob, was not a happy camper needless to say and said he would call me back.

Guess what? I have now booked that Saturday so Bob is out of luck! One thing I will not do is haggle about my fee.

Ditto what Scott P. and others have said.

I don't haggle either. I gather information during our conversation and make my determination what the fee will be as I'm providing background to the caller in the hopes of locking the deal.

I had a call from a mortgage company today needing an FHA Final (92051 form). I provided her my quote and knew straight-a-way she was looking for someone who would only charge $50. She said she would call back ... I'm still waiting for the ring. [;)]

I don't back out of my driveway for less than $375 + mileage on those.

Wow. That got a lot of response. I generally don't dicker on fees either, but I have been doing sales long enough to know when a client is likely to try. If I get that vibe I add some fluff so they can haggle and we both can win.

Truthfully I am far more likely to offer a discount because I know the client or the person who referred them. That's a bad habit I need to kick. Maybe a published price list would help.

I just read the entire thread for the first time-I don't post prices on my website for all the same reasons already enumerated. If I posted my prices I am absolutely positive that I would lose business.

It is impossible, in the sterile, banal ether that is the WWW, to convey the same interest, compassion and knowledge that one can accomplish in person or on the phone. By the time I allow the discussion to digress to fees, the client is committed to my company. The fee, while a factor, isn't the factor. Sometimes I can hear the sharp inhale but I seldom lose the booking.

I think the bottom line is, if your fees are on the low end and you crave volume, list your fees. If you're on the high end or the chart topper, you probably shouldn't list your fees. For most of us though it's a moot issue; leads mined off the internet represent a little less than 20% of my gross.

Hagglers are funny, they make me laugh. I don't play though. Once someone finds you malleable in one regard they expect you to bend in every regard.

• 4 weeks later...