World's Oldest Living Fossil!

How many years old is that in the metric system?

It's my 5th iteration of my Year of the Snake, 5 is associated with the 5 elements (Water, Fire, Earth, Wood, and Metal), in turn representing the Emperor as embodiment of Earthly connection to the Heavens.

There are 5 arches at Tiananmen Gate of the Imperial Palace.

You are invited to this place to pay tribute, and have the Emperor's grace bestowed upon thee.

Some 1953 trivia for you, Kurt. Canada was heavily involved in the Korean war. Instead of issuing a new steel 1953 license plate for every car and truck in BC, they made a little plate that could be screwed to the old plate.

The '53 plate is not pure steel, but has some rust on it, some kind of inferior pot metal? [:)]

Click to Enlarge
tn_201331322110_old53plate.jpg

44.01?KB

It is an attractive little fossil artifact, tho. I dug it out of the south bank of the Fraser River, JFYI.

A little dirt road went down to the river. Could have been a dump site for years, now part of the river bank. Pure steel would have rusted away, like all the steel we sent to Korea has rusted away.

1953 was the year of the first Corvette, but the engineers were kinda slow in the engine department. They gave it the same engine as the family sedan, an inline six cylinder, the 235 'stovebolt 6'. [:)]

The real American sports car for '53 was the Studebaker Lowboy, no doubt about it.

The real American sports car for '53 was the Studebaker Lowboy, no doubt about it.

Been trying to figure out what you were referring to as a '53 "lowboy". Are you referring to the Loewy coupe?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Yes, I suppose that's what you called them in the US.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201331513638_53%20stude.jpg

49.68 KB

Since we are discussing 1953, who can say that the Corvette with its wimpy 6 cylinder was more sporty that one of these with the Commander V8?

Been trying to figure out what you were referring to as a '53 "lowboy". Are you referring to the Loewy coupe?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Click to Enlarge

49.68?KB

Since we are discussing 1953, who can say that the Corvette with its wimpy 6 cylinder was more sporty that one of these with the Commander V8?

The '53 Vette was arguably prettier but it wasn't built to be a beast; it was meant to be a playcar for the rich, like movie actresses, etc..

The car in your ad is a K body, the one in the photo I sent you a C body. Both were designed by Raymond Loewy's design team and both had the longest run off any Studebaker series 1953 to 1961 for the C and 1953 to 1964 for the hardtop. They both use the identical chassis and engine and have the 120.5-inch wheelbase. The C coupe, known as the Starlight in '53, has the pillar between the front and back side windows. The K body hardtop doesn't have the pillar and is a more expensive model known as the Starliner in 53 and 54, President Speedster in 55, Golden Hawk in '56 (W/Packard V8), and Hawk from 57 to 64.

The 259V8 that the Coupe or Hardtop were available with in '53 could indeed kick the Corvette's ass and in '55 the Speedster was stiff competition for just about everyone. In 56 the Hawk with the 352 V8 was a beast but when they added the supercharger to the 289V8 in '57 they became predators. The '58 Packard Hawk built by Studebaker could handily beat the lighter Corvette in the quarter mile.

Sorry, I get carried away.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Click to Enlarge

49.68?KB

OK OK.. I meant 'looks'.. :)