Insulation installation

Robert Jones

Can't say I have seen this before. Older home, insulation on the attic floor, and then they went and added firberglass batts. Would you be concerned that the batts are in touch with the deck? BTW, the batts are also blocking the continuous ridge vent(s). No soffit vents, 2 gable end vents.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013328224347_DSCN1139.jpg

45.1 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013328224420_DSCN1138.jpg

46.94 KB

It looks like they're trying to include the attic space within the conditioned building envelope. In a case like this I think un-faced batts would be the correct choice.

With vapor retarded facing down it will trap moisture from roof leaks or condensation from heat loss against the underside of the roof decking.

Any attempt to include the attic within the conditioned envelope would include blocking attic ventilation which you mentioned has been done. But if the gable vents are still open then the insulation between the rafters is pointless.

I am not sure they were intending to include the attic within the conditioned envelope. The scuttle was small and there is very little head room in the cavity itself. Typically when I inspect these older homes, the batt insulation is installed against the interior wall of the attic cavity, but never the rafter bays.

It's just a cobble job. I see stuff like this all the time. I usually describe it as such in the report. "Installer unclear on concept, minimal to lousy energy performance, ventilation issues, take it all out and reinstall correctly, call to discuss, etc., etc....".