Exterior grounding connector?

Bryan

I came across this setup the other day in a student housing complex. The two cord sets provide power to the dishwasher and disposal, about half of the grounds had been clipped instead of being connected.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20134214637_Exterior%20grounding%20conductor.jpg

21.11?KB

Any thought to why this type of setup would be used vs. a three prong grounding type cord set?

If that's a two prong outlet, and that screw is grounded, then it would work. I've never seen a cord like that. Otherwise they not be stupid, just ignant. Is it impossible for that screw to be grounded?[:-dunce]

The screw and outlet are both grounded as its a three prong outlet and the entire complex is only four years old. I figure they did it this way to save a few cents on each of the 504 cord sets needed for the property.

I thought maybe if the fresh water supply was copper and the sink stainless that a ground connection would find it's way via that wire nut from disposer to dishwasher but...no, Scott's right.

Stupidity by others is what pays our bills.

Marc

If that's a two prong outlet, and that screw is grounded, then it would work. I've never seen a cord like that. Otherwise they not be stupid, just ignant. Is it impossible for that screw to be grounded?[:-dunce]

The screw and outlet are both grounded as its a three prong outlet and the entire complex is only four years old. I figure they did it this way to save a few cents on each of the 504 cord sets needed for the property.

But they ended up paying extra dollars for somebody to install all those little jumpers and wire nuts[?]

Somebody ordered appliances with the wrong cord sets, special order for ungrounded receptacles. [:-dunce]