Main disconnect buzzing

Darren

A 60 hertz hum sometimes emanates from transformers or coils or all types. The larger the coil, the higher the amperage must be to generate an audible hum.

Breakers have a small coil in them since they're thermal-magnetic. A high amperage might do it.

From lack of experience in the world of sound, I don't know if a hum from a main breaker would suggest an adverse condition.

Marc

That would be the Benny Goodman Orchestra, IIRC.

Any buzzing is trouble, and I would not try tightening anything myself. I'm not allowed to "perform work" inside an electrical panel.

But if it is humming, it may be arcing or overheating, and if it is indeed a tiny transformer making that noise, it is crying for help. Or it is just humming "In The Mood". [:)]

That would be the Benny Goodman Orchestra, IIRC.

Any buzzing is trouble, and I would not try tightening anything myself. I'm not allowed to "perform work" inside an electrical panel.

But if it is humming, it may be arcing or overheating, and if it is indeed a tiny transformer making that noise, it is crying for help. Or it is just humming "In The Mood". [:)]

RE: In The Mood ... Nah, it was Glenn Miller and his Orchestra that brought it to #1 in the 1940s. Albeit, Benny Goodman was also excellent.

Most often when writing reports I'm listening to Big Band Era music.

I'll stop hi-jacking this thread now ... [;)]