Marc

Click to Enlarge
tn_201349135359_015.jpg

68.5 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201349135431_016.jpg

34.23 KB

Serial D4264-2G05479

I'm thinking either 64' or 79'. No aluminum conductors, ground wires in romex, copper fresh water supply, steel & cast iron DWV.

Built on a slab. No numbers on WH gas valve. Doesn't mesh with TIJ decoder...that I know of.

Thanks

Marc

Hi,

I just spent nearly half an hour on the phone with the current American-Standard Company. They are now based in California. The new serial number decoding sequence is coming email and will be added to the chart.

They tell me that the water heater division used to be based in New Jersey and manufactured tanks in New York and that they stopped producing water heaters many years ago - although they don't know exactly when that was. Kim, the lady at their office says she thinks it was Burnham that bought out the water heater division but she's never been able to confirm that because Burnham has been unresponsive to her inquiries. She says that lots of folks call her from all over the country with tanks that are in 1950 and 1960's homes looking for manuals and say those tanks are still going strong, so she's quessing that your tank is from the 60's, possibly older. She says some of those older tanks are copper.

As for their current models. They reinitiated tank manufacture in 2000 with commercial tanks and didn't get back into residential until December of 2007. I'll have that coding added to the chart after I receive it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Was the TPRV installed into the side or the top of the tank? If so, most likely 1979. If the valve was in the outgoing hot water pipe than mostly 1964.

TPRV wasn't on hot water outlet. I've never seen one of those down south, just in photos.

Thanks fellas. I feel solid about 64' now. Water quality very good here. Added to the track record Mike mentioned and that's probably why it's still in service. It also dates the house for me.

Never heard of aluminum tanks. Not aware of any down here.

Mike O, I appreciate all your time. That's a lot of work for you.

Marc