RoundaBoat

I took a slight detour from my normal route around Green Lake today, just into the western part of Tangletown, and was immediately confronted with this...

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif roundaboat001.jpg

225.05 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201349232524_roundaboat004.jpg

53.52 KB

Kind of ugly for a novelty planter and a traffic circle doesn't seem the best spot for the kiddies to play. As I'm taking the photos, one of the neighbors happened by and told me the boat had just appeared overnight 2 or 3 days ago. Odd, but the real mystery is why they bothered tying it to the signpost.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201349232836_roundaboat005.jpg

78.07 KB

Hey Richard,

Did you claim salvage rights? You could put a little motor on that and tie it off behind your big boat to run errands in, kind of the way RVers tow little cars around behind their rigs.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Already have that covered, a couple of ways. When anchored out, the most frequent "errands" are to shore in the dinghy for Dudley, who just refuses to use on-board facilities despite trying a variety of sod patches, artificial and real, on deck.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 2012BoatSJ026x.jpg

148.48 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 2011BoatN302x.jpg

193.04 KB

The kayak is my personal quiet space.

...When anchored out, the most frequent "errands" are to shore in the dinghy for Dudley, who just refuses to use on-board facilities despite trying a variety of sod patches, artificial and real, on deck.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 2011BoatN302x.jpg

193.04?KB

Well, I don't know boats but I know dogs. I betcha he just likes the ride and he's got you 'trained'.[;)]

Marc

He's a smart dog, picked a good master.

Around here, a boat trailer that has registration papers and isn't rusted out is worth more than the boat. People will buy the boat for the trailer and set the boat adrift or dump it like that.

My old 17 footer went to a demolition derby. I felt proud she lasted 10 laps, and I didn't have to deal with the disposal of the poor old thing. Sold the outboard for parts and the trailer? Sold for cash!

I dunno,

Was that a demolition derby or a race where the winner has to finish with his towed object intact? The only one that looked like he was trying to intentionally domolish stuff was that red car (Duster/Volare?) near the end.

OT - OF!!!

M.

The red car I saw at the end getting aggressive was a 1975-ish Ford Torino painted with a Starsky and Hutch stripe. Other than that, I have no clue what the point of the evening's efforts were except to give the audience a reason to drink beer and watch stuff get torn up.

I dunno,

Was that a demolition derby or a race where the winner has to finish with his towed object intact? The only one that looked like he was trying to intentionally domolish stuff was that red car (Duster/Volare?) near the end.

OT - OF!!!

M.

The red car I saw at the end getting aggressive was a 1975-ish Ford Torino painted with a Starsky and Hutch stripe. Other than that, I have no clue what the point of the evening's efforts were except to give the audience a reason to drink beer and watch stuff get torn up.

The winner of my boat's last voyage had a bit of a boat left. Object was to smash everybody elses tow while keeping your own intact.

I was told my boat was too big and heavy. Drivers choose the lightest boats if they hope to win, makes sense. They use a wooden pole for a hitch, and the boat slides around behind the car.

So I gutted her and bucked the transom and 4 feet off with the skilsaw. (To cut fiberglass with a skilsaw, just put the blade on backwards. [:)] )

Made a new transom from a piece of mahogany doorskin, and sewed it on with wire. She was almost a winner. I wish I had pictures from that race.

We don't get the entire race in that one guy's video, probably Starsky's buddy. The Crash to Pass rule is they must hit before passing. We see the start of the race, the veterans are holding position and watching for the lead cars to be smashed and eliminated for dragging metal, must go to the pits, or other infractions or simply getting totaled.

I am not a fan, BTW. It was a good way to give an old boat one more chance at glory before the scrap heap.

I have no clue what the point of the evening's efforts were except to give the audience a reason to drink beer and watch stuff get torn up.

I think you have the right clue, Kevin. May have some dressing on it, but you've got the basic premise down perfectly.