Commercial Inspection

homnspector

Howdy, Today I inspected a small commercial duplex. I am not familiar with all of the differences between residential and commercial code. There was no firewall in the attic between the units. Is this needed?

Also, subpanels were grounded to the main panel by metal conduit, no seperate main ground wire to the ground Buss in the subpanels.

Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by homnspector

Howdy, Today I inspected a small commercial duplex. I am not familiar with all of the differences between residential and commercial code. There was no firewall in the attic between the units. Is this needed?

Commercial duplex? Are you sure? Most duplexes I see are residences and are governed by the residential code. As for the firewall, depends on how old the building is. You'd have to do research to come up with a definitive answer.

Also, subpanels were grounded to the main panel by metal conduit, no seperate main ground wire to the ground Buss in the subpanels.

Thanks for any help.

I believe it's fine to use the conduit for grounding in that application. If I learn that I'm wrong, I'll post a correction.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

P.S. You might want to stop capitalizing "bus" and start spelling it with one "s".

Not trying to be aggravating to people trying to help me but..

"P.S. You might want to stop capitalizing "bus" and start spelling it with one "s"."

Buss

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Buss may relate of any of these:

* Buss is an alternate spelling of bus, used mainly in the case of an electrical bus, also rarely for a computer bus.

Course, if nobody else knows what I'm talking about, it probably isn't a good term to use.[;)]

By "duplex" I just meant it was 2 connected units, maybe thats the wrong term if its not residential.

Originally posted by homnspector

Not trying to be aggravating to people trying to help me but..

"P.S. You might want to stop capitalizing "bus" and start spelling it with one "s"."

Buss

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Buss may relate of any of these:

* Buss is an alternate spelling of bus, used mainly in the case of an electrical bus, also rarely for a computer bus.

Course, if nobody else knows what I'm talking about, it probably isn't a good term to use.[;)]

Not at all aggravating. Lots of people spell it that way, which is how it made it into Wikipedia as an alternate. The NEC uses "bus" and "busbar." (single word) So I prefer to stick to that.

I think the confusion comes from the Bussmann Company. (Who seem altogether too fond of double consonants.) They make BUSS© Fuses and even proprietary BUSS© Bars. As far as I can tell, all BUSS© Bars are busbars, but not all busbars are BUSS© Bars.

You make a very good point about terminology though. Most homebuyers won't have a clue what "busbar" or even "terminal bar" means. I'm not sure what other terms we can use. When we describe technical things, we're sometimes stuck using technical language.

By "duplex" I just meant it was 2 connected units, maybe thats the wrong term if its not residential.

I think that the thing most people call a duplex is a residential building, not a commercial one.

- Jim Katen, Oregon