time required to do inspection

I've run into a rash of agents lately that seem to think an inspection should not last more than two hours. I just quickly tell then it aint gonna happen that way.

I tell my clients when I give the quote how long I expect it to take. For typical 3 level townhomes to moderately sized detached colonials I usually span somewhere between 3 and 4 hours.

I guess I should start suggesting to my clients that they warn the agents of how long I expect to be on site. One thing is for sure, clients never complain about how much time I spend.

Is there an increasing influx of toadie inspectors out there conforming to the agents idea of what an inspection should be? Sure seems like it.

Is there an increasing influx of toadie inspectors out there conforming to the agents idea of what an inspection should be? Sure seems like it.

No influx I'm noticing. Pretty much always been toadies. Maybe there's more now than before, can't say for sure.

Haven't heard any such talk from either toadies or agents. If anyone were to ask me, I'd likely just say 'tell me exactly what I'll find in this house and I'll tell you about how long it'll take'. That oughta shut them up.

Marc

I've heard that same stuff since I started inspecting back in '95 and keep hearing it on occasion when I deal with a new agent. I don't see any dramatic increase in the numbers of newbies but we always have a new batch of inspectors and agents every few months which keeps the myth alive.

It takes as long as it takes.

I don't work for the agent so they can put all their BS on the coat rack when they come in.

They are measuring you John. It is a common tactic used by would be 'power players', bad managers and used car salesmen. They say something from left field to gauge your reaction. How you respond tells them just how far they can manipulate you.

It's just a cheap confidence trick. Taken for what it is it reveals more about them than anyone else, and certainly doesn't reflect on other home inspectors which is the way you took it.

I began warning folks of how long I'm going to be there a few years ago.

I tell them during their initial call to expect to be there at least four hours. I tell them to make sure their agent knows that. Then I explain that if the agent doesn't know me, the agent will probably hit the ceiling and start spouting off about how "Her (His) inspector never takes that long and how she (he) hasn't got that much time to waste. I tell 'em I am no agent's inspector and that I only have only two speeds - slow and careful - and if that's not what they want, or if their agent can't accept that and they want to listen to the agent, they should hang up and call someone else. Then I offer to give them a few names and numbers of inspectors I'd trust to do an inspection for me.

I hardly ever lose a caller doing that. Since I got hurt two years ago I've been turning away more callers than I accept and have been kicking those to that list of inspectors. Works for me and I think the other inspectors are happy to oblige.

If things go well and I'm done much sooner than 4 hours the agent is happy and I'm the hero. If the house turns out to be a bit of a chore and it goes over four hours they at least knew in advance that was going to happen. Either way, I inspect at my speed and I don't give a rat's ass whether the agents don't like it since I get about 9 out of 10 referrals from happy former clients anyway.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I ask for 2 1/2 hours by myself to collect info and get the dirty work done. That way, they can hang around or just show up later. 90+% will show up later, with the agent usually. I then give them full attention for an hour. That works for me, and the agents are generally good with that too. They open the door and leave.

I get the tough stuff done and the ladder put away and then sometimes have to hustle a bit gathering the standard info, but can get it as a rule in 2+ hours. Then during the walkthrough with the clients in tow, I will occasionally have one more item to pick up, haven't checked out the shed yet, or a tripped GFCI not yet located. (It was in the storage room, roughed in for a future bathroom. [:)])

3 1/2 hours.

Realtor told recent client if they hired "his" inspector the inspector would "bring along" a termite guy.

I told client it sounds to me like they are trying some kind of discount. Client declined their offer.

Then there was a "mixup" on providing me access to inside.

The spin machine whirs on.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't work for the agent so they can put all their BS on the coat rack when they come in.

They are measuring you John. It is a common tactic used by would be 'power players', bad managers and used car salesmen. They say something from left field to gauge your reaction. How you respond tells them just how far they can manipulate you.

It's just a cheap confidence trick. Taken for what it is it reveals more about them than anyone else, and certainly doesn't reflect on other home inspectors which is the way you took it.

I agree with you that they may be measuring me. But how I respond might be a manipulation of my own, correct?

I disagree with you that their experience of fast inspections doesn't reflect on other inspectors. I think it indicates there are a fare share of minimalist type inspectors out there. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind about that.