Drum trap?

allseason

I believe it is a bottle trap. I copied this from a plumbing forum, so this is just an interesting point of view:

"Inspektor Ludwig

02-13-2010, 03:00 PM

One thing to watch out for is when someone says that the product is "compliant". Some products like bottle traps are not allowed by code but then you're always told that if it has the UPC or Iapmo mark then it's approved for use. The methodology just didn't make sense, why would the code forbid something then put their label on it? I took the model number of a bottle trap that a customer wanted to install because it had a upc symbol on it and looked it up on the Iapmo website for the listing. What I've found is that a product that has the listing mark on it has been approved but only some small part of the overall product, for example the bottle trap that clearly had the UPC mark was only approved for they type of material that the trap was made out of, not the style of trap. I called Iapmo to figure this out, the lady said that a bottle trap may have an approved listing for materials but the make and model number for the type of trap may not be approved, which was the case. The bottle trap being sold as a trap was not approved for a trap but the metal that it was made out of was an approved material so the manufacturers of the products put the UPC symbol on them. I've found that there are numerous products that have the UPC symbol that do not have a listing, a falsified listing or an incomplete listing. Alot of products are from China but I've also found products from Kohler and Grohe that don't comply either."

If it's a baffle type trap, it isn't allowed by the Louisiana Plumbing Code (94' Standard Plumbing Code) unless it's made from stainless steel, plastic or other corrosion resistant material.

I don't think many states besides Louisiana use this code anymore.

Marc

You can unscrew the bottom section by hand to clean it. When you put it back, use some plumber's grease on the threads to make it easy to unscrew next time.

If this is in a half bath, it's unlikely to every clog anyway.

If it's in a master bath or a kid's bath, either get used to cleaning it or replace it with a p trap.

Haven't you guys ever been to Europe?

They are the norm there. Never had a problem with a sink clogging because of one and never had a problem with odors. Jim is right, want to clear it or get a ring you dropped out of the drain? Just unscrew it, turn it over into a bucket and you've got your ring back.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

When I was in France I got to see those cool Turkish toilets. Lean against the wall and poop in a hole in the floor. Oh yeah, no partitions either [:-yuck].

Yeah,

In the public crappers, yeah. Private homes, restaurants, hotels, etc., have regular toilets just like we use.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Two sinks in the Master Bath. Glass sinks with no overflow provision.

Jim is right, plumber's putty will fix it.

And if that's all it needs, how about some Vics Vapo Rub or whatever they got, Vaseline from the medicine cabinet?

I have tried timing those glass bowl sinks with the stopper shut, about 60 seconds to fill the bowl to overflowing. [:-party]