Antique hardwired alarm

John Kogel

This is in a 1940 house that had Knob + Tube wiring, all upgraded to grounded circuits at the wall receptacles.

I doubt the wiring to this old smoke detector was actually replaced, but it is certainly energized. Is this alarm wired into the keypad by any chance? The 'keypad' takes an actual key. There is a horn in the attic.

I was too chicken to try this - Find a lighter, burn a realtor's biz card under the detector. If I had tested the alarm, how would I have turned it off? Or would it have a timeout for testing?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013515214731_alarm1.jpg

27.75 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013515214828_alarm2.jpg

23.53 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201351521497_alarm3.jpg

29.37 KB

Thanks, Jim. The bimetal heat strip would hold the horn on until it cooled, I imagine. It could very well be in working order, but naturally I called for new alarms everywhere.

I avoid the temptation to test smoke alarms that may be tied into whole house alarm systems.

Ever since the day I triggered an alarm nobody could tell us how to turn off. The lady in the house had never in 9 years reprogrammed the keypad. I clipped a wire to the bell, after 20 minutes of hysteria in the house. No, thanks. [:)]

Question, is 'bimetal' synonymous with 'dielectric'?

Question, is 'bimetal' synonymous with 'dielectric'?

I don't think so. Dielectric refers to the generation of an electromotive force whose magnitude depends on the temperature of a junction of dissimilar metals. Bimetallic refers to a junction of dissimilar metals which mechanically distorts depending on the temperature of that junction.

Marc