massive water bill

sln

• 1 year later...

This is a long story, so bear with me... I know this thread is a bit older, but I too live in Uxbridge, MA, and received a massive water bill in October 2013. It was over $2100!! We had only lived in the house for a few months, and had previously owned a house where we paid monthly bills for water, sewer and trash pick up which averaged about $50/month. I called the town to question the huge bill, and she said "we thought that bill looked high". In other words, they recognized the bill was clearly an error, but they opted to let it slide so they could hope I would just pay it? Really? So I said there was no way we had used that much water, she said, "well, do you have an irrigation system?" - I replied yes, and she said "well that is why it is so high." I was shocked! If that were the case, we would have turned our lawn into a swamp! We could have filled our pool several times over for the amount of water they claimed we used.

I was not giving in without a fight. So I pulled the numbers, and recorded our water usage daily. I checked the meter by recording the "before" and "after" reading while running our water. I checked all the sinks toilets and faucets for leaks - none. The meter was working fine. However, when I called back and reported my findings, and that there was still no way we had used what they claimed, they finally fessed up and said there was a note on the account that when they went to get the "final" reading the day we bought the house, they had noticed evidence that the meter had been "tampered with" so the put on a new meter. After still more arguments (and going up in management), that we did not use that much water, they finally researched the meter number, and now realized that they failed to record that the meter they put on was not "new" starting from 0, but was removed from another residence and already had a reading of several thousand cf. So they realized they had charged us as if the meter had started at 0. They then claimed the meters last reading on the former residence, and that we still owed $400 - For 3 months of usage. I believe they just made up this number, and I requested documented records to show. It took quite a while for them to produce these records, and the still appeared "unofficial", just written in. So, since then I have kept a close eye on the readings and our bill has not been over $150!! We have not changed any of our water consumption (except turning off the irrigation for the winter, but turned it back on early spring) and we have even had 2 additional house guests for some time, yet the water bill is still no where near $400.

Most of the cost (they claim) was for the sewer, so even to arrive at the $400 bill they "waived" what they estimated to have been the irrigation usage, so that we weren't charged additional sewer, yet still they arrived at a $400 bill?

I asked why they automatically charge for sewer, when they clearly know not all the water is going in the sewer (and as you know - sewer rates are higher than water rates), for instance, I drink a ton of water, and I filter it from the sink, or water the garden, or fill the pool. Their response was "Because we can't measure what actually goes out through the sewer... well, actually we can, but we just don't. So we charge all water usage with sewer, unless you pay to have a separate irrigation meter installed." Are you kidding me? You admit to having a way to not overcharge your residents, but you just choose not to use it???

She went on to explain that I could put in an irrigation meter to defray the sewer costs going forward, but it would cost $450 for the meter, then I would still have to hire my own plumber to install it.

My neighbors have informed me that they call the town and inform them any time they have to fill their pool, so they aren't charged for sewer. We noticed over the past several days that the pool water was going down quickly. We discovered a hole and patched it. Then I called the town to say we would be filling our pool and asked if they could come take a reading. They asked if the pool was empty, or we just replaced the liner. I said, no but explained the situation and that the water level was lower than the jets and we needed to fill it. They said they only waive the sewer fees if the pool is empty or the liner was just replaced!! I said, "but the water is clearly not going in the sewer." He said "I know, but we only waive if the pool is empty or the liner has just been replaced."

I am so sick of this town's money grubbing water department and their lack of ethics! They "know" what is right , but have no interest in pursuing it.

I think the town is clearly only interested in scamming the town people in any way they can!!

Yes, thanks Marc, I have been diligently recording my readings for a few months now, and the water readings and bills are now accurate.

However, it still doesn't help that the town wants to "double dip" any chance they can by collecting illegitimate sewer charges. And I have a sour taste left since they ripped me off in the very beginning. Frankly, I feel like they owe me money back, but instead they are still trying to rip off extra sewer charges!

I agree Mark.

I am going to see if I can meet with someone representing the town department to discuss all my encounters with this department. I will see this through.

If they continue this way, I will be calling all the local papers. :-)

Now I also have horrible stories from other residents to include as well.

Wow, after reading this is feel lucky. In my area they only charge $240 for the second meter to separate irrigation and yard use from the sewer use. Additionally for the fee they come out and install if.

Remember, the folks who work for the town really work for you - the residents. Get your elected council members involved, they usually want to get re-elected[;)]

Sounds like you got about as good an outcome as there is. Save your bills and track your usage so you have ground to stand on when it happens again.

I say "when" because I have had similar issues with my town's water department, on three separate occasions, without that positive a result and I hold a position on a town board.

Local government at its finest.

• 1 month later...

Yes, thanks Marc, I have been diligently recording my readings for a few months now, and the water readings and bills are now accurate.

However, it still doesn't help that the town wants to "double dip" any chance they can by collecting illegitimate sewer charges. And I have a sour taste left since they ripped me off in the very beginning. Frankly, I feel like they owe me money back, but instead they are still trying to rip off extra sewer charges!

Have a separate meter installed for your sprinkler system.