Rain during roof installation...

allbread

I am having an acrylic coated double standing seam galvalume roof installed on my new home - the shingle tear off was started this past Weds but before the metal could be installed we were hit with an unexpected rain storm.

My roofer has assured me that the exposed area of the roof (basically the entire roof at this point) will be fine since his crew managed to install the underlayer protection before the rain hit but despite his assurances I am still nervous...

Beyond any obvious leaks inside the house what should I look for to determine if there is any moisture damage that needs remedying before the metal sheets are installed?

As far as I know the roofing crew has not tarped the exposed portions of the roof...

I don't currently live in the house but intend to move in in the next couple weeks - should I ask my roofer to wait until the underlayer is dry before installing the metal or would prolonging the install just increase the risk of damage to the wood?

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Thanks!

I wouldn't be concerned if the roofing underlayment was properly installed and remained intact throughout the storm. If this isn't the case, I'd quickly get an inspector with an IR camera onsite to look for moisture issues. This would have to be done quickly and only after the AC has been running for several hours to create conditions needed for the moisture in the walls, etc to evaporate. Without both moisture and it's active evaporation from the surfaces, the camera won't 'see' it. It's sees only temperature gradients.

Once the moisture is gone, an IR camera won't be of use.

If the moisture is gone within several hours of the event, I wouldn't worry about mold.

Is this the same weather system that flooded San Antonio this AM?

Marc

Type 'Home Inspector Austin Texas' into your search engine and see what shows up. Call a few, explain what happened and what your concerns are then see what they say. Wait for one to volunteer that they have an IR camera. These cameras - the good ones - are several thousand dollars or more. Some people might lease them.

I'm sure there's other professions that have them but I'm not sure anyone other than a home inspector will know how to use them in a house. Since the camera sees temperature gradients only, it's a bag of tricks to interpret a genuine moisture issue with it. You'll want someone who's experienced in using it in a house.

Marc

• 1 month later...