Service Panel Capacity

Mike Lamb

All of these old Pushmatic panels had 50 amp main disconnects except for one which was upped to 100 amps. I am assuming that exceeds the intended panel capacity but I could not see the label to verify this.

Any help?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20136194224_001.jpg

82.91 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013619434_004.jpg

62.71 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20136194326_007.jpg

30.22 KB

The setup you're seeing is pretty common in 4-12 unit apartment buildings. Regardless of listing, most of these are tapped out, there's usually new appliances and devices not counted in the original configuration, and the room air conditioners usually found in the apartments aren't on dedicated circuits. Not to mention the tangle of AC/BX that's coming out of the top of the panels; can't run that stuff in lengths >6' in the city. It's real easy to can these arrangements on multiple counts.

The (too small) panels are only part of the problem. Most often, the building service is only 200 amps.

I am assuming that exceeds the intended panel capacity but I could not see the label to verify this.

Personally, I wouldn't take the assumption route - primarily because I like to avoid being wrong. I think a better approach is to raise a question on the panel rating and then let someone else pursue it. That way your chances of making an error are pretty slim.