Ground to neutral bar AT SUB PANEL??

Jerry Lozier

Main panel is an outside pedestal: looks good

4 wire service coming to SUBPANEL in house basement

Neutrals and grounds are on separate bars as they should be.

Green (ground) cable from main panel goes to ground bar in sub

***Solid Copper from ground rod attaches to neutral bar. (That don't seem right as doesn't the ground usually attach to the ground side with the cable from the main panel so the neutrals stay isolated) I'm thinking the only cable attached to neutral side should be the neutral cable from the main panel.

Am I missing something here??

Click to Enlarge
tn_20136293126_700%20052.jpg

43.36 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013629324_700%20053.jpg

35.05 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20136293233_700%20054.jpg

35.3 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20136293321_700%20055.jpg

35.09 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013629340_700%20056.jpg

40.71 KB

The GEC should connect to the neutral at a point between the load end of the service drop or service lateral to and including the teminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means. 250.24 (A) (1)

It should not bond at a sub-panel.

Marc

I don't fully understand what you've got there. When you say that the service panel at the pedestal "looks good" does that mean that it has a proper grounding electrode system?

If so, then there's nothing wrong with having a grounding electrode connected to the sub panel, but it should, of course, be connected to the grounding terminal bar.

I don't fully understand what you've got there. When you say that the service panel at the pedestal "looks good" does that mean that it has a proper grounding electrode system?

If so, then there's nothing wrong with having a grounding electrode connected to the sub panel, but it should, of course, be connected to the grounding terminal bar.

Yes main panel (first disconnect) and meter base are remote and have proper ground.

Remote distribution (sub) panel pictured in my post above, never seen one with the #6 copper GEC connected to neutral bar rather than ground bar.

6 year old install with L&I stickers approval of installation, just wanted to know if they knew something I didn't...

So wanting to confirm it is incorrect as currently installed..

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013621705_700%20029.jpg

95.65 KB

This discussion with some experts is why the guy messed this up in the first place.. It's easy to mess this up 'Mentally'..

The installer did not understand 'the why' of the directives in regards to this..

If you don't know 'why'.. .you can easily mix this up.. Which is why I tell folks this every single week.. 'These guys are licensed, but they don't know 'why' they are supposed to do this stuff sometimes.. "