Fill valve for a buried propane tank?

Richard Moore

Small 1959 rambler, burbs north of Seattle, currently on natural gas. There were 3 irrigation control boxes at the front of the house. Two contained normal irrigation valves and a backflow device but the third, very close to the foundation, had this...

Click to Enlarge
tn_20136863059_130607B016x.jpg

108.49 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20136863133_130607B015x.jpg

73.31 KB

In the 2nd photo (with my finger holding the spring loaded cap open) you see some rusty device hose clamped to the valve (no idea on that either). I have seen maybe 3 above ground propane tanks total during my HI career. Certainly never seen a buried one. Is that was this is or was? It doesn't seem like the best idea to have a buried LP tank right next to a home with a crawl space.

My other thought, because it was inside an irrigation style box, is that it could be a compressed air connection to winterize the irrigation system???

BTW, the crawl hatch on this one was like some devilish Venus Inspector Trap. I had to use sticks to prop open the springy, sharp edged mesh that was secured at the house wall. I could barely squeeze into the opening and, once in, no more than about 8 feet in any direction due to pipes and ducts in the nasty shallow crawl. File under "Stuff I Won't Miss".

Click to Enlarge
tn_20136863214_130607B098x.jpg

80.74 KB

Richard, I carry a slim metal rod with a pointed end somewhere in my truck. Nope, never use it, but for that mystery, I might have prodded the ground below to see if there was a tank there. Judging from the Mickey Mouse clamps and threaded rod support, I'd guess it was part of Mr Handy's irrigation system.

We have robots that can carry a web cam into those creepy cavities. You have a dog. He could be sent in ahead to dig a tunnel for you. The possibilities are endless.

But in the end, it is quicker and easier to just suit up and do it. Thursday PM, I was welcomed by a swarm of honey bees when I opened the crawl hatch. I put on my rain jacket with the hood and crept my way in like a big old bear. Intimidated them. Got stung about an hour later. [:)]

That reminds me of an irrigation valve that you stick a hose or spray head into and twist to lock in place. I vote - part of the irrigation system.

I never see underground tanks here though.

Makes sense. Who would use a flexible hose for a liquefied gas? The rebar and hose clamp suggest a hose.

Marc