Anti-Jam, Auto-Reversing Garbage Grinders

Terence McCann

It simply starts ccw and runs that direction until power is cut and when power restored, it starts cw. Every time it is switched on it starts in the opposite direction it was running when it was switched off. Once got a nasty letter from ISE corp informing me to promptly change my inspection form(s); disposer not Disposal. They were not friendly!

That's funny. I suppose it is a disposer instead of a disposal, but geez, who the heck calls it a disposer?

I think "disposal" was once a marketing term by one of the mfg's., as in "dispose all". Now that I think of it, maybe that's why they were PO'd; they don't want their disposer getting mixed up w/someone else's "disposal all".

They whacked Bob Villa for using disposal. All this was abt 1988 and I believe now the term is in the public domain. Also in the realm of Inspector Lore - New York City did not allow disposers until early 1990's. Seems there were still wood sewer lines and all that extra food wrecked havoc on them.