Cooktop pot filler problem...

Scottpat

I found this yesterday while doing a new construction inspection. The "pot" filler handle 6 1/2" above the rear burner and it sticks out over the burner about 2".....

They could have moved it another 10" or so to the middle which would have been over the downdraft vent and not over a burner.. Honestly, do folks who install this stuff ever think about what they are doing?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013627153658_DSCN5282.jpg

48.72 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201362715397_DSCN5284.jpg

68.71 KB

Those two components are rarely spec'd at the same time, let alone by the same person. I'd wager that they didn't know what cooktop they were going to get until the granite fabricator asked. By then the plumbing was long since roughed in.

Makes you wonder what the builder is doing that he did not see this, does'nt it!

I'd wager that they didn't know what cooktop they were going to get until the granite fabricator asked. By then the plumbing was long since roughed in.

They must have had a cartoon of the kitchen layout ahead of time.

It could be as simple as someone installing different sized cabinets on the opposite side of where they should have been. That would shift the cook top base with them.

Do you have a picture of the layout, Scott?

A folding ruler? That's cool, Scott.

Best investment you could make for our profession. Makes a great pointer and is perfect for pictures. An old departed friend (Norm Sage) got me to using it about 10+ years ago.

No plans for me to look at. My guess is that the filler was an afterthought.

No plans for me to look at. My guess is that the filler was an afterthought.

I was actually hoping you had an overall of what's there. Not the print

Being a finish carpenter, I'm not real quick to let plumbers slide, but in this case, maybe.

If they planned for a 32" base on one side, and a 36" base on the other side of the cook top base, and they got switched by a speed demon trying to get it done, there's a 4" shift in the placement of the cook top base and 0" in the overall run.

It's easy to forget how works in the real world. These guys are working on a schedule. They do this every day, unlike Joe homeowner who measures fourteen times, posts questions to a forum, and then sands his shims to get it just right.

Doesn't make them hacks.

Centerline of cooktop/range has to be known early in the process. There is always a range hood centered above or a downdraft below, and there is a gas line and a couple of electrical boxes, so the builder would have been asked early where the cooktop was going, along with many other precise placements that go into a kitchen layout. That's a big screw-up. My guess is that the plumber never installed one before, and didn't know they had a long reach, so he installed it over the burner... although not high enough to fill a large pot.