UV Lighting on evap coils

Konrad

Originally posted by Konrad

Is anyone seeing UV light fixtures being installed at the A-coils to prevent mold growth?

Just wondering what your impressions are.

"Lisa, in this house we do not violate the laws of thermodynamics!!" ~ Homer Simpson

It can work, IF you have enough light in the right places. Big IF. Most of what I've seen doesn't work.

http://www.americanultraviolet.com/uvc/hvac/index.htm

I've seen these systems in use; a couple tech's I work w/swear they improve air quality, but who knows?

If you read the FAQ's, the company (of course) has compelling arguments for their successful use. They have been used in hospitals for years, though, so there must be something to all of it.

Point of information; the correct quote is "Lisa, in this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics".

I use ultraviolet lights to keep my 2,000 gallon fish pond free of algae.

My Dad has a UV unit for his incoming water that's from a shallow well and had a high bacteria count.

In both cases the water is pumped through a tube that contains the UV light and the water is exposed to the light from all angles. In both cases the results are excellent.

UV lights have a life. After 2,000 hours of continuous use they'll go on emitting visible light, but the UV spectrum is only about 60% as powerful, after 4,000 hours they're essentially ordinary bulbs. The bulbs (for 40 watts) are about 50 dollars each and should be changed annually.

Slight thread drift here..

There is also talk that SIDS may be somehow connected to mold, because there seems to be an increase in SIDS cases in the spring.

Possibly when people are turning their A/C's on for the first time.

This was just third hand info, I haven't researched it.

Anyone know more about that?

Also, far be it from me to misquote Homer. I stand corrected. [:-paperba

Hi,

Well, that sounds like it would be closer to a variant of Legionnaire's Disease caused by bacteria that forms in HVAC equipment. I'm no toxicologist though. Jeff May, are you looking in on this thread today? If so, it would be nice to get your input.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by Konrad

Slight thread drift here..

There is also talk that SIDS may be somehow connected to mold, because there seems to be an increase in SIDS cases in the spring.

Possibly when people are turning their A/C's on for the first time.

This was just third hand info, I haven't researched it.

Anyone know more about that?

Also, far be it from me to misquote Homer. I stand corrected. [:-paperba

Continuous low level co has also been attributed to SIDS according Wayne State Medical web site.