Photos - How many do you take?

I've never considered taking hundreds of pics and saving them as proof to dispute some possible claim. I can't get myself to worry about what might happen. I worry about enough other shit.

It's not so much worrying about that with me. Covering my ass is an incidental byproduct of the method. Not the reason behind it.

The more I take, the more I have to work with, and less I wish I had in order to do a better job.

I look at it like I'm doing two inspections. One on site, one at the desk. I hate to admit it, but there have been a few times when because of target fixation, I've had other things jump out of those pictures that I would have forgotten or missed.

I haven't written a word on site, since very early into my first year of doing this. I average less than 150, but have taken over 200 during a few.

I hate to admit it, but there have been a few times when because of target fixation, I've had other things jump out of those pictures that I would have forgotten or missed.

"Hi, my name is Kurt, and I'm target fixated."

I've had it happen a few times...miss something and see it later when reviewing photos. Embarrassing, but true.

100-200 or so. Storage is cheap.

Hand signals or angles etc tell me what I need to know. Usually an establishing shot and a close up of the problem in the report.

A few notes on site, if it's convenient.

I use faststone to resize and water mark them, then slip them into the HomeGauge report. Sometimes I stick an arrow on them but that's about it for marking them up.

I'd rather write the report with my feet up and a favorite beverage close by than in someone else's home why other people are busy standing around waiting on me.

On average, 10-15 only, all for report. I *like* to write and describe. Pictures only for odd-ball stuff, and stuff where client isn't with me (up on roof, in attic, in crawl. . .).

Jerry, I'm with you. About 15 or so pics with captions on what you're looking at.

This is for the guys that take over 50 pictures. Do they make the report or are they for your reference only? I like to post pictures of things that are hard to describe, a major or safety concern or something that is just unique.

I'll be honest, on a typical house, I can't think of that many things to photograph.

Thanks,

Tony

Target fixation?

Yup. It gets fighter pilots killed from behind. See situational awareness for more on this subject. [;)]

This is for the guys that take over 50 pictures. Do they make the report or are they for your reference only?

For me, it's easily less than a quarter of them. They're mainly for my reference. It's my note book

On average, 10-15 only, all for report. I *like* to write and describe. Pictures only for odd-ball stuff, and stuff where client isn't with me (up on roof, in attic, in crawl. . .).

This is for the guys that take over 50 pictures. Do they make the report or are they for your reference only?

Thanks,

Tony

I average over 200 pics per house. I don't know how many I average in a report. I checked my last report and I included about 44.

I still record data plates with pen and paper. If they are barely legible in person I won't be able to make out anything in a pic. The only plates I rely on the camera for are horizontal or inverted down draft mid efficiency furnaces. It usually takes me three attempts to contort into a position where I can reach it, and 3 or 4 shots to get the damned thing in focus.

I have taken to carrying a Sharpie. Read the data plate, then write on the unit the Year and Capacity. Then I take the pic. The two pieces of information I need for the report are visible in the pic. The rest of the data plate may be readable in the pic. Take a second pic of the name plate so I know the manufacturer.

That's a good idea. Sharpie.

When I'm doing apartments (if there's no number on the door), I write each apartment number on a small notepad, take a picture of the number before I enter. If there's a number on the door, take a pic of that. It's a good way to keep all the apts. in order.

I'd rather write the report with my feet up and a favorite beverage close by than in someone else's home why other people are busy standing around waiting on me.

Me too.

The only thing I miss in Mac OS is Fastone Image Resizer. It's the best; I wish they made a version for Mac.

Target fixation?

Good, useful term. Happens sometimes when the inspector relies too heavily on a checklist. They develop tunnel vision and see nothing but the items on the checklist. Other things cause it too.

Marc

What's a check list? Nothing to do with that at all.

It's as simple as I said.

I'm also with Erby on this. Unless I've got a real good reason to dig for something, I don't see much point in spending the entire day in a house, and having people hang around waiting for me to write stuff up. 50 cents an hour is as low as I can afford.

The camera expedites the process, and sometimes captures things like water stains, that you won't see if you stare at the same spot for an hour.

I use 3x5 notepads and sometimes will 'name' an object and take a pic of the pad in front of it.. then take a 2nd without the pad.. establishing shots with the background and then another.. etc.. Done the sharpie thing a few times as well.. and with multi-unit props, the note-pad and apt# thing for every unit.. hand signals (up/down/left/right) # of fingers.. including 'thumbs down' !.. the whole nine yards.. Pics of the general 'state' of the basement are very important (clutter, stored items, finished areas) and a walk-around of the exterior at least 4 shots or more... Photos are great.. too little.. not good.. too many.. not good.. there is a sweet spot for the number and type..