Blackened wood on windows

Mike Lamb

I am having my fill of windows rotting out way before their time. This 15 yr old clad window sash is blackened but is not yet rotting. There are a couple more like it. I am going to recommend that it be cleaned and weather sealed but is this going to actually help in any way?

I am beginning to think that wood windows with exterior cladding is an extremely bad investment no matter what the brand of window.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013711132950_158%20window.jpg

37.94 KB

Waste of time and money to clean and seal.

There is incipient rot in the wood already. If there is enough meat on the bone with those sashes you could try Impel Rods but installing them means drilling holes into the sash from the inside and then filling, sanding and finishing the holes once the rods are inserted.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Boy, I don't know about that. I've fixed stuff way worse than that with epoxy applications; get a thinned out epoxy, saturate the area, incipient rot goes bye bye in a haze of toxic polymerization. That window needs something fast, but the something it needs isn't complicated or expensive.

Doesn't anyone else out there torture themselves with wooden boats?

Not any more. I became a home inspector to support my boat building habit.

Boy, what was I thinking.

That looks like a Crestline-Vetter-Norandex or similar builder grade window. If it's still in production a replacement sash will be only a few bucks more than an Abatron kit, and way less than anything from West.

Not any more. I became a home inspector to support my boat building habit.

Boy, what was I thinking.

I don't know what you were thinking. I'd say there wasn't much thinking going on. Wooden boats aren't about thinking; they're strictly passion.