Cool find of the week

Inspectorjoe

Does that foundation look newer than 1929?

It does, but it's not. That's an interior wall.

The perimeter foundation is a double row of what looked like 10" block. I've never see that before, but then I don't recall ever seeing a block foundation supporting solid stone walls.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201372583057_1%20201.jpg

33.76 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201372583144_1%20002.jpg

70.85 KB

The level of craftsmanship is breathtaking. The house is in nearly original condition, inside and out, including the original wall surfaces in the dining room. The only room that's not original is the kitchen, but the remodeling was done tastefully, and they kept the dumbwaiter and servant call indicator box.

Kibble probably sees places like this all the time, but for me, I need to remind myself to concentrate on the job at hand and not just stand and stare at stuff in awe.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20137259581_1%20075.jpg

36.6 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201372510011_1%20107.jpg

54.56 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201372595854_1%20094.jpg

48.88 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20137251018_1%20157.jpg

55.86 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201372510212_1%20159.jpg

32.85 KB

Lord yes, gorgeous. Stonework always puts me in a good head space.

I'll piggyback on the thread to show you my cool find of yesterday.....some pretty nice 1/4 sawn treads.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201372510727_ellipse.jpg

44.1 KB

I get to go back to the house today with a fellow to figure out the goofy steam system.

Beautiful stairway!

I find one of the best fringe benefits of this job is the ability to see cool buildings and components up-close and personal.

Here's a 1924 gem I did last week. It looks like an idyllic day, but the temperature at the time I took the picture was an even 100 degrees, with high humidity to boot. The heat last week damn near killed me.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201372514444_1%20261.jpg

77.54 KB

Another beauty. PA has a lot of the same 20's classic housing as Chicago. It was the last gasp of old world craftsmen and materials; stone cutters, real masons, tile guys, plasterers, gilders, faux painting, etc., etc.

Do you see houses that have custom tile for each bathroom? I see places where every tile is designed and fit for a specific space; not a cut tile in the entire job, and these are big rooms, showers, cove & bullnose tile at all intersections, and as perfect as anything could be.

How'd you like to be the layout guy for that job?

Do you see houses that have custom tile for each bathroom? I see places where every tile is designed and fit for a specific space; not a cut tile in the entire job, and these are big rooms, showers, cove & bullnose tile at all intersections, and as perfect as anything could be.

How'd you like to be the layout guy for that job?

I have to admit, I've never taken notice to that - never really thought about it. You have my curiosity piqued and it'll be on my radar in the future.