Stranded wire cut to fit breaker

Erby

100 amp sub panel in converted garage powered from the house panel.

Aluminum stranded wire with several strands cut to fit the 100 amp terminal.

House belongs to an electrical contractor, go figure

I wonder who did this work?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013730115023_image.jpg

62.59 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013730115211_image.jpg

57.84 KB

I'm uncertain. The main ground wire is connected to the floating neutral bus bar, not the bonded ground bar. Is that correct!

(Yeah, I also saw the circuit neutral & ground connected to the floating neutral bar.)

Sorry, the pictures above were from my phone.

Yeah, the panel labeling, if it was there, should show but the labeling isn't always there.

This is a subpanel for the garage.

The right side bus is floating, not bonded. The high res photos show no green screw or bonding strap on the right side bus.

The grounding wire should be attached to the left side bonded bus, correct?

. . . The grounding wire should be attached to the left side bonded bus, correct?

I'm unclear about what's going on.

If there are only three conductors feeding this panel, then the neutrals and the equipment grounding conductors and the grounding electrode conductors should all be bonded together. This would have been allowed for a separate building until recent years. Otherwise, any current that ends up on the equipment grounding conductors must pass through the earth to complete a circuit.

If there's a fourth conductor (conduit?), then the grounding electrode conductor should land on the left, equipment grounding terminal.

Aluminum stranded wire with several strands cut to fit the 100 amp terminal.

House belongs to an electrical contractor, go figure

I had a co-worker once who, after somebody else who should have known better stuck his hand into a piece of electronic equipment and shocked himself, commented how interesting it is that so many really good swimmers drown.

Familiarity really does breed contempt.