tamperproof GFCI

Jerry Lozier

Not liking the new 'tamper proof' GFCI receptacles.

2 of the 3 on exterior of home I could not get 3-prong tester to insert. Usually a little side to side is all it takes: not these. They trip fine with button, but not much use if you can't plug anything into them: IMO

Click to Enlarge
tn_201387102942_1185%20023.jpg

24.85 KB

ALSO: this weatherproof cover suspends receptacle with space all the way around it leaving conductors (somewhat) exposed. I'm thinking there must be an inner shield someone left out??

Not liking the new 'tamper proof' GFCI receptacles.

2 of the 3 on exterior of home I could not get 3-prong tester to insert. Usually a little side to side is all it takes: not these. They trip fine with button, but not much use if you can't plug anything into them: IMO

Get a fine file and chamfer the front edges of the prongs on your receptacle tester. Then buff them up till they're smooth. No more problems with TR receptacles.

• 4 weeks later...

Just did an inspection on a new construction this AM and my one year old tester wouldn't fit into 2 of the 3 outdoor receps regardless of how hard I tried.

I don't know what the problem is unless it's typical of new tamper-resistant receps. It ain't my tester.

Write them up?

Marc