What are these piers?

This 1972 home has a basement that does not show signs of flooding. There is a small adjacent crawlspace that is about 4 feet above the basement floor with a dirt gravel floor that has two square holes cut in the foundation at opposite sides apparently to let water drain in or out of it.

On one side of this crawlspace about a foot of soil has washed away from beneath the foundation wall. There is an attached garage here so water has been running beneath the garage slab. The foundation has buckled.

Anyway, beneath this washed out foundation are to wood piers about 8 inches thick. They are not rotted to speak of. They would have to be from some previous construction. Any thoughts on these wooden piers?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201388224733_141arrows.jpg

44.03 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201388224839_131slabarrows.jpg

40.95 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20138822492_126timer1.jpg

78.83 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201388224950_121timber2.jpg

78.47 KB

This 1972 home has a basement that does not show signs of flooding. There is a small adjacent crawlspace that is about 4 feet above the basement floor with a dirt gravel floor that has two square holes cut in the foundation at opposite sides apparently to let water drain in or out of it.

Perhaps they were planning for future ductwork, or the concrete guys weren't sure what they were installing for a heat source?? That's my guess in regards to the gap @ the garage stem wall.

There is sort of a cavern passageway under the garage slab which is why I say water was flowing. I'd also say the foundation has buckled.

This is in Palos Hills, a SW Chgo suburb, which I am told used to be a flood plain but is no longer.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013890467_124cavern.jpg

53.5 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20138904634_127wall.jpg

34.18 KB

Looks like a pile Mike.... anyway.. 'B-A-D" of course.. ..A pile with the top exposed can rot and get short... thus the horizontal cracks..

I'm with Rob...pilings to support the grade beam. For some reason, someone thought it a good idea to install a few or perhaps there's many, before the pour.

Marc

This is in Palos Hills, a SW Chgo suburb, which I am told used to be a flood plain but is no longer.

Old Palos Hills has some strange water stuff. Once a flood plain, always a flood plain, isn't it?

I don't think you can rezone or legislatively make a flood plain not a flood plain