Unions

I'll share one experience I had with unions. Several years ago I was a manger for a Chicago based ready mix producer when a union dust up with Wal-mart caused one of our jobsites to be picketed. Teamsters would not drive across the line so management would drive across and bring the trucks back to the drivers to clean out and go back to the plant for another load. While waiting for another truck, one of the other managers walked over to chat with the picketers. Turns out every one of them was from a temp service because there were no union people available (they were all working). I've heard of many other examples of this practice but this one I know first hand.

I'll share one experience I had with unions. Several years ago I was a manger for a Chicago based ready mix producer when a union dust up with Wal-mart caused one of our jobsites to be picketed. Teamsters would not drive across the line so management would drive across and bring the trucks back to the drivers to clean out and go back to the plant for another load. While waiting for another truck, one of the other managers walked over to chat with the picketers. Turns out every one of them was from a temp service because there were no union people available (they were all working). I've heard of many other examples of this practice but this one I know first hand.

Is that legal?

Marc

Consider all the people bussed in to picket for so many things from political events to telco union strikes, etc..

Sometimes it is all the "temp" folks on the lines who have never worked a whit for the company, but they are picking up a stipend from the union organizers.

Like Kurt noted: "Legal is an abstract concept."