Roof shingles

Robert Jones

The pics are from a family member's roof. The shingles are only about 9-10 years old. I think their defective. Was there a shingle issue from the mid 2000's that I don't know about?

Rob

Are you absolutely sure that those shingles are 9-10 years old?

Shingles with fiberglass mats don't curl like that in our climate, but organic mat shingles do. The likelihood of 9-10 year old organic mat shingles is remote.

Could be that those are just really old shingles doing what really old shingles do.

Thanks guys.

Jim, I am positive on the age as they are the same age of the home.

Mike, no moss buildup.

Lee, no cathedral ceiling but a 1/2 story is there.

My initial thought was heat and poor ventilation. Checked the attic, and there is no discoloration of the OSB sheathing or any other indication of poor ventilation. The home is a custom build and not in a development.

Thanks guys.

Jim, I am positive on the age as they are the same age of the home.

Mike, no moss buildup.

Lee, no cathedral ceiling but a 1/2 story is there.

My initial thought was heat and poor ventilation. Checked the attic, and there is no discoloration of the OSB sheathing or any other indication of poor ventilation. The home is a custom build and not in a development.

Then it's just crummy shingles. Strip 'em off and put on some Pabcos or Malarkeys.

If there isn't a severe moss/algae problem or a lot of tree debris remaining on the roof that gets wet and secretes tannic acid, I'd say it's a defect. I supposed it could be the IKO thing - they've got a manufacturing plant down near Olympia someplace and lots of local builders use their product, but I've seen plenty of IKO shingles here and they don't seem to have any issues .

OT - OF!!!

M.