Help with cracked brick on duplex (pictures)

lfrankl1

Hello,

The duplex is a small ranch with all brick. Built in 1979. Walking around the outside I noticed several cracks. Most seem to be coming from the corner of a window all the way to the ground. Cracks aren't big, but there's are at least 5 around the entire duplex.

Any input would be great.

Thanks!

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013825235324_Crackedbrick1.jpg

70.66 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013825235348_CrackedBrick2.jpg

65.94 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013825235410_Crackedbrick3.jpg

81.58 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013825235426_Crackedbrick4.jpg

90.62 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201382523558_Crackedbrick4.jpg

90.62 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013825235524_Crackedbrick5.jpg

72.58 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013825235538_Frontcrack1.jpg

121.34 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013825235551_FrontCrack2.jpg

124.78 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201382523567_FrontCrack3.jpg

136.95 KB

Just a quick guess, but those drop sills (same width as opening, as opposed to lug sills that extend past the opening) let water into the wall....water in the brick could be freezing and causing some of the movement that's cracking the brick.

Or, there's incremental settlement in the foundation/footing and you're seeing it in the veneer. Are there any foundation cracks in the basement indicating movement?

Show us some establishing shots; a bunch of close ups isn't showing the whole story. Patio cracks are not likely related to the "problem", but they could be...show us an establishing shot of the effected area.

Also, Great Stuff/Crazy Foam is not masonry repair material; dig it out and repair the joints with mortar.

Yes, the repairs look worse than the cracks do.

The crack above the crawlspace vent Pic 2 is interesting, because it changes direction. I would be inclined to think it is minor cracking of the veneer. We don't know what is behind the brick veneer, but it could be wood frame. If so, some cracks of that type would be normal, caused by some minor settlement.

Yes, the repairs look worse than the cracks do.

The crack above the crawlspace vent Pic 2 is interesting, because it changes direction. I would be inclined to think it is minor cracking of the veneer. We don't know what is behind the brick veneer, but it could be wood frame. If so, some cracks of that type would be normal, caused by some minor settlement.

Normal? Ain't nothing normal about it.

Marc

Marc

Looks normal to me. Raymond's explanation is probably as close as any of our guesses. Unless there's something we can't see in the foundation, looks like the normal crappy (no flashing, no expansion joints) brick veneer job to me.

Marc

Looks normal to me. Raymond's explanation is probably as close as any of our guesses. Unless there's something we can't see in the foundation, looks like the normal crappy (no flashing, no expansion joints) brick veneer job to me.

Different semantics. I don't tell any client that brick veneer cracks that bad is 'normal'.

I can understand how 'normal' could be taken in a different way on this forum.

Marc