deaf client

I had an inspection with a deaf client recently. It was a nice experience even though it took a tad longer than usual. The fiancee did sign language as well as the agent. Not a word was missed on either side. I never felt I had to dumb down my usual detailed rantings.

I faced the parties while speaking whenever I could. I'm enlightened.

Have you had a similar experience?

I had an inspection with a deaf client recently. It was a nice experience even though it took a tad longer than usual. The fiancee did sign language as well as the agent. Not a word was missed on either side. I never felt I had to dumb down my usual detailed rantings.

I faced the parties while speaking whenever I could. I'm enlightened.

Have you had a similar experience?

I've had several signing customers. I find the experience about the same as having any customer who speaks a language that's foreign to me. For most stuff its fine, but explaining technical things is a challenge because a common language provides a frame of reference that's often missing when translation is involved.

The language of the hands, where uncontaminated with English, is amazingly well suited, much more so than English, for discussions that center around people, their moods, actions, relations to others, etc. It does poorly on technical discussions.

Its an absolutely beautiful language.

Marc

I have had a couple. No problems. It's natural to speak loudly to the interpreter in this situation I think. The interpreter said to me, you don't have to yell I'm not deaf, which was kind of funny.

I have done a lot of work for my friends sister who is deaf. She reads lips very well but it is still difficult and frustrating. I use a note pad mostly. Her husband is Chinese and also deaf. Talk about your language barrier.

A couple dozen, probably more. Most are faculty, staff and alumni of an area school for the deaf.

I am amazed at what little effort is required of me to effectively communicate with deaf clients. They're quite skilled at comprehending what I have to say and show. It has been nothing at all like trying to communicate with someone who's primary language is not English.

I have had a couple. No problems. It's natural to speak loudly to the interpreter in this situation I think. The interpreter said to me, you don't have to yell I'm not deaf, which was kind of funny.

I'm not sure why it would be natural but it seems to be the thing that folks do.

I haven't had a deaf client yet; but I'd welcome the chance to dust off my sign. When I was in high school I used to stop off at a deaf friends shoeshine stand every day after school. He'd teach me a little sign and I'd work with him to learn how to enunciate words so he could say them correctly.

I see realtors often practically yelling at their foreign-born clients when trying to explain something to them - as if speaking very loudly is going to somehow make the client understand better.

I've seen it often overseas too in Europe or Korea where American's downtown would ask a non-English speaker a question and when that person didn't understand they'd repeat the question louder in English as if that was going to bridge the language gap. Then they'd turn away disgusted that the other person, who was in his/her own country, didn't speak English and mutter something about how, "These damned furriners need to learn to speak English."

Not funny but too often the case.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Even 11 years after getting my ears back with a bionic implant, many folks, include my SPOUSE, still sometimes talk to me in an elevated tone thinking it will help.

It's not only offensive but embarrassing when done in the company of others.

When I meet a client and they speak normally after I explain my condition, I know they're one of the intelligent ones.

My implant has a volume control. I keep it adjusted to optimum comprehension. When people talk louder for me, I understand less.

Marc

If someone is deaf but they can read English I can write a note or show a sketch with notes to help explain myself.

I have more concerns when I have a client that does not speak English and the agent is the translater. I can tell by the reaction of my client that there is some editing involved. I make sure that I get permission to send the written report to their attorney and emphasize that it get read carefully.

I have more concerns when I have a client that does not speak English and the agent is the translator.

Same here. I've discovered through clients families that translations weren't even translations; they were major plot alterations.

That's funny.

Inspector; This place is dozer bait.

Interpreter; This house is so well built, you'd need heavy equipment to knock it down.

I have more concerns when I have a client that does not speak English and the agent is the translator.

Same here. I've discovered through clients families that translations weren't even translations; they were major plot alterations.

That's funny.

Inspector; This place is dozer bait.

Interpreter; This house is so well built, you'd need heavy equipment to knock it down.

That's even funnier.