Underlayment oozing or condensation problem?

palmettoinspect

Guys,

I'm unsure as to what exactly is causing this staining to the roof sheathing. There's black stains throughout the roof sheathing worst at the rafter edges and sheathing seams.

Home is 2007 with the original standing seam metal roof with a secondary peel and stick underlayment visible between the sheathing. Metal looks great with no signs of abnormal wear.

My concern is the underlayment oozing from excessive heat generated by the metal roof and that's what's causing the staining. I understand this can happen, but have never seen it myself.

I was also informed that the attic fans were not connected for the first few years of the roofs life, and worry about condensation issue in the attic during the humid summer months. There's some very minor fungi growth visible in picture #3 to the roof sheathing. No drips stains noted under ductwork etc. All areas tested were dry at the time of my inspection.

Or, is it obviously staining from rain water maybe during a delay in the construction process?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kiel

Click to Enlarge
tn_20131031153342_rsz_2imgp1971.jpg

37.27 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20131031153736_rsz_imgp1986.jpg

38.73 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20131031154147_rsz_imgp1985.jpg

41.18 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20131031153932_rsz_1imgp1989.jpg

33.79 KB

Thanks guys. That makes feel me a little better.

Hausdok, How bad do the underside roofs look around there? This is a rarity in this particular neighborhood. Most sheathing still looks great even after a few roofs.

Jim's photo is one of the more extreme examples but I see something like that, and some that are somewhat less so, pretty frequently around here.

Fungi grows on everything around here. That's why I go so friggin' ballistic when I hear folks moaning about "toxic" mold and displaying pictures of a little mildew fungi in a shower.

OT - OF!!!

M.

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys. That makes feel me a little better.

Hausdok, How bad do the underside roofs look around there? This is a rarity in this particular neighborhood. Most sheathing still looks great even after a few roofs.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20131111959_260-6095_IMG.jpg

42.71 KB

Wow! That's horrible! Very common for crawlspaces around here, but not attics.