Ford Transit update

• 3 months later...

Update on the criticism of Transit.

I don't like the the fact there is not a dashboard provision to disable the traction control. In challenging snowy conditions, it seems like the traction control over compensates and cuts power to the wheels too much. Especially in cases where you are trying to get moving from a start in a condition where the surface is full of frozen ruts.

Sometimes it's helpful to be able to spin wheels a bit until you can dig down for a better bite. But this this thing just cuts you off and you cant get started without chopping yourself a path with a shovel first.

I researched and found out I can disable the traction control by pulling the ABS fuse. The consensus is there are no permanent ill effects of doing this so I might give it a try sometime. The downside is I like the ABS and pulling the fuse also disables that. Although in some cases, I think I can live without ABS in order to have full control of maniac wheel spin when I need it.

Marc that is what he says, wants to keep ABS but wants to kill the other.

John, there is a way to have both. Here is how I disable the instrument cluster on my Ranger, which runs my battery dead for unknown reasons, computer glitch.

In place of the fuse, insert two flat copper strips with wires soldered to them. I drilled holes in the strips, inserted the wires then crimped and soldered them. The wires go to a mini switch mounted where you can reach it. In one of the wires, mount an inline fuse holder so the circuit is protected properly. Once the snow melts, you can put the standard fuse back in.

If you grew up driving in snow on a regular basis, ABS brakes are a nuisance to the point of being dangerous.

If you're silly enough to let the car do the driving, you'll stop straight. The question is, when will you stop? A lesson learned when they first came out with them.

If you learned to drive in the snow, you can out brake the ABS system by a lot, and still keep control. If I feel the first sign of them kicking in, I'm off the brake right then. I'll do the driving, thank you.

The only purpose they serve is for folks who panic and can't drive in the first place. Old folks despise them!

It's getting pretty scary to see cars equipped with sensors to take over when it thinks it's time to save the operator from their possible bad judgment. I don't need a vehicle thinking for me and braking my way into a crash, when I might have chosen to accelerate my way around some dumbass with a smart car, after it second guessed them.

End of rant

If you grew up driving in snow on a regular basis, ABS brakes are a nuisance to the point of being dangerous.

If you're silly enough to let the car do the driving, you'll stop straight. The question is, when will you stop? A lesson learned when they first came out with them.

If you learned to drive in the snow, you can out brake the ABS system by a lot, and still keep control. If I feel the first sign of them kicking in, I'm off the brake right then. I'll do the driving, thank you.

The only purpose they serve is for folks who panic and can't drive in the first place. Old folks despise them!

It's getting pretty scary to see cars equipped with sensors to take over when it thinks it's time to save the operator from their possible bad judgment. I don't need a vehicle thinking for me and braking my way into a crash, when I might have chosen to accelerate my way around some dumbass with a smart car, after it second guessed them.

End of rant

[:-blindfo

• 7 months later...

How did it do on the road?

Marc

Slow acceleration obviously. Still had a bit of spring in the rear suspension. Never felt it hit the bump stops.

1900 is about 500 over the listed payload capacity. Considering that, I was impressed with how well it did. I'm sure that payload capacity has something to do with stopping capability too. Gotta keep your distance. My trip was only a few miles and never went above 40mph.

I've also have had the cargo area filled half way to the roof with oak firewood before. Took it on a 20 mile trip to my dads that included highway speeds. No problems.