Holes in exterior walls

omagic12

1958 CB home in west central Florida.

My home has 3/8" (approx.) holes every 12" apart and 3" above the ground similar to this: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/drill-weep ... 26419.html . Some have been filled in (prior owner?), but most are now revealed due to the stucco (sparkle-crete) coming off on several spots where the ground meets the walls. I am starting to feather in some spray-deck grout on those spots and would like to know if I can cover those holes?

Also, out of curiosity, during initial construction they used a green colored water proofing barrier between the CB and stucco. What is that stuff?

It looks to be in very good condition whatever it is. They used it from the bottom of the slab to the top of the walls.

The picture with the link is not a hole. Usually the holes you describe are to inject chemical for termite treatment. The spacing is so the chemical distributes evenly throughout the block. You should look closely on the interior to see if there are any holes in floors, closets, pantry, etc. No reason not to cover them.

Finished floor is roughly level with those holes.

It just occurred to me that the holes around the perimeter may have caused the deterioration of the stucco (sparkle-crete), as it's only at that level (ground meets wall) where the stucco has come off.

So, can I cover the holes with new grout/stucco? I plan to continue tomorrow.

I recommend you plug the holes with type N mortar. Mix small amounts to the consistency of peanut butter. Roll a plug slightly larger than the diameter of the hole and apprx 3/4" long. Insert your plug into the hole and smooth the exterior edges.

Do this prior to applying new stucco. If the hole is not plugged the new stucco over the holes will crack and collapse.

As a side note, these holes should be located just below the bottom of the slab. If they are at ground level, well below the slab, then the termite treatment was done incorrectly. If they are above the slab, again the treatment was done incorrectly. If the holes were drilled through the stucco and not plugged, this could have contributed to the current condition.

I recommend you plug the holes with type N mortar. Mix small amounts to the consistency of peanut butter. Roll a plug slightly larger than the diameter of the hole and apprx 3/4" long. Insert your plug into the hole and smooth the exterior edges.

Do this prior to applying new stucco. If the hole is not plugged the new stucco over the holes will crack and collapse.

As a side note, these holes should be located just below the bottom of the slab. If they are at ground level, well below the slab, then the termite treatment was done incorrectly. If they are above the slab, again the treatment was done incorrectly. If the holes were drilled through the stucco and not plugged, this could have contributed to the current condition.

Thank You Sir. I can do that.