19th Century General Store

Not sure I wanted to see the re-muddle, Bill. The phrase "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be" comes to mind.

I was at MOHAI (our Museum of History and Industry) on Sunday for my wife's UW Microbiology Dept Christmas brunch (don't ask). One 1919 exhibit photo in particular caught my eye. I managed to find it online. See http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm-m ... X=1&REC=10 .

I imagine my 1927 house was built using wood from a similar stack (albeit fir), but it's the height that amazes me for all sorts of reasons; wind, seismic, not to mention the logistics and safety.

Wow. You don't realize the height of that stack until you notice the guy standing about a third of the way up. I know that people were marginally shorter then, but still...

Not sure I wanted to see the re-muddle, Bill. The phrase "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be" comes to mind.

I was at MOHAI (our Museum of History and Industry) on Sunday for my wife's UW Microbiology Dept Christmas brunch (don't ask). One 1919 exhibit photo in particular caught my eye. I managed to find it online. See http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm-m ... X=1&REC=10 .

I imagine my 1927 house was built using wood from a similar stack (albeit fir), but it's the height that amazes me for all sorts of reasons; wind, seismic, not to mention the logistics and safety.

Wow. You don't realize the height of that stack until you notice the guy standing about a third of the way up. I know that people were marginally shorter then, but still...

50 foot tall stacks of cedar. Old growth clear cedar that is. That guy is standing on one of the steps to the top, where he would no doubt be guiding sling loads from a big overhead crane. The blurb says they would stack the wood for 9 months. Also mentions a big fire in the 50's.

The old general store is waiting for a restoration of the windows, for sure.