Stains at Crawlspace Foundation

Mike Lamb

I see this type of cascading moisture at crawlspace foundations often. It looks like water has run over the foundation but I am very skeptical as to when or how this actually occurs. It rarely to never looks like something that has occurred recently. Is this something that might have happened during construction? Thoughts on this?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20131218162936_127B.jpg

45.36 KB

I see this type of cascading moisture at crawlspace foundations often. It looks like water has run over the foundation but I am very skeptical as to when or how this actually occurs. It rarely to never looks like something that has occurred recently. Is this something that might have happened during construction? Thoughts on this?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20131218162936_127B.jpg

45.36 KB

I see similar stains all the time in my area. However, the stains are typically from red clay. Seldom is the grade above the foundation, so I assume it is probably from dirt that blows around on ends up on top of the foundation wall from shoes, wood sitting on the ground, etc.

Yep, it was raining on the construction site.

I have a similar reaction to crawlspace sawdust, is it insects or manmade?

It's easy to tell if you look at it carefully. That's a subject that's been beaten into most of the Oregon inspectors I know. Isn't it covered in CA?

No, there might be a course one could take.

All I'm saying is when I see sawdust in the crawlspace or a wall cavity, I check it out closely.