exterior redstone blocks moving - help

bhapgood

our nonprofit completed a building 3 years ago. There are exterior wall redstone blocks that are moving out from the building. One of them is at the corner above the pergola, 3rd row from the top. The other is straight up from the entry sidewalk on the 2nd row from the top. The one on the corner has moved out about an inch and the other one has moved about 3/4 of an inch. I believe water is working in through bad mortar joints and freeze/thaw action is pushing them out. I don't know for sure it is just my theory at this point. Pics included.

We are trying to figure out how to fix the root cause instead of just the symptoms. Anyone recommend someone to advise us in Colorado (near Glenwood Springs)?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201413142157_exterior%20rock%20protruding.jpg

30.04 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201413142314_exterior%20rock%20protruding2.jpg

38.47 KB

bhapgood,

Congratulations, you've already figured out what lots of builders refuse to believe: 1) water can enter masonry construction and 2) freezing water causes damage.

I'd be happy to help, but with a 3 hour drive each way that would be an all-day job for me. For that much money you could probably just have a competent roofer install coping over the top of the walls to keep water out.