Drip edge flashing

rlskfoster

Did a house today that did not have the drip edge flashing. I found in a Burgess where it says that the drip edge flashing is not required on all roofs. I think it should be there but now I've confused myself. Any old roofers out there know for sure. We really don't have a large freeze problem in this area. Shingles had a good 3/4 to 1 inch overhang.

In the picture you can see the vinyl siding. I think the siding guys pulled the drip edge off to make their installation easier, smoother, etc.

Thought?

Buster

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Edmunds 028.jpg

87.45 KB

Hi,

The ARMA and NRCA manuals both recommend drip edge flashing and the rakes and the eaves of all asphalt roofs. Some manufacturers require it or the warranty is void, but that knowledge doesn't do you a whole lot of good unless you have the ability to look at an asphalt shingle and know who manufactured it and what each manufacturer's requirements are.

That said, it's used about 1/2 of 1% of the time on homes out here on Puget Sound. Roofers out here extend the felt and the edge of the roof about 2 to 2-1/2 inches into the gutter and call it a day. Consequently, I find rot at the edges of the deck on about 5% of the homes I look at where it's been omitted. I write it up every time I find it, but I tell people not to expect anyone to do anything about it, 'cuz that's just the way it is around here. Any customer that has ever asked for it to be repaired has been turned down flat.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The first time I saw a $300,000 house with no drip and no felt I almost fell off my ladder. Every roofer I talked to said it was "common". I write it up as defect and mention manufacturer blah, blah, blah. Oh yeah i also mention nuisance leaks being possible and more likely with age.

Mike Garcia

Sometimes I feel all alone.

When I was installing roofs ( about 30 years ago, (that's difficult to say)) we always used drip edge. It makes for a cleaner looking job. If you allow the shingles to overhang the gutters too far they tend to droop in and allow water to wick up behind them. In this area almost all roofs have drip edge. I put vented drip edge on my house because I have no soffit.

Brian, How can you mix wood and metal, that must make a strange aloy?

[:-bigeyes

Bruce