Dust When Installing HardiePlank Siding?

GregKapitan

Hi! I am new to this forum and my name is Greg in Houston Texas. I am curious to find out what some of your crews are doing when it comes to the dust when installing HardiePlank Siding?

Some have told me that they feel heaviness in their chest in the am when they wake up after a long day of Hardie installation often telling me that they have been wearing a dust mask. Any thoughts?? [:-angel]

Hi! I am new to this forum and my name is Greg in Houston Texas. I am curious to find out what some of your crews are doing when it comes to the dust when installing HardiePlank Siding?

Some have told me that they feel heaviness in their chest in the am when they wake up after a long day of Hardie installation often telling me that they have been wearing a dust mask. Any thoughts?? [:-angel]

Use shears or wear a respirator.

Shears is the answer as Jim said.

Hardie cutting guidelines:

OUTDOORS

1. Position cutting station so that wind will blow dust away from user

and others in working area.

2. Use one of the following methods:

a. Best:

i. Score and snap

ii. Shears (manual, electric or pneumatic)

b. Better:

i. Dust reducing circular saw equipped with a

HardieBlade saw blade and HEPA vacuum extraction

c. Good:

i. Dust reducing circular saw with a HardieBlade saw blade

(only use for low to moderate cutting)

INDOORS

1. Cut only using score and snap, or shears (manual, electric or pneumatic).

2. Position cutting station in well-ventilated area

- NEVER use a power saw indoors

-NEVER use a circular saw blade that does not carry the HardieBlade saw blade trademark

- NEVER dry sweep - Use wet suppression or HEPA Vacuum

Important Note: For maximum protection (lowest respirable dust production), James Hardie recommends always using "Best" level cutting methods where feasible.

NIOSH-approved respirators can be used in conjunction with above cutting practices to further reduce dust exposures. Additional exposure information is available at www.jameshardie.com to help you determine the most appropriate cutting method for your job requirements. If concern still exists about exposure levels or you

do not comply with the above practices, you should always consult a qualified industrial hygienist or contact James Hardie for further information.

Thanks everyone and I appreciate the replies. Here in my neck of the woods it can be challenging to get subs to use proper ventilation and filtering procedures in 95 degrees and 95% relative humidity. We are looking at LP SmartSide as a possible safer option.

They should be using the same precautions with Smartside. I doubt that the chemical soup they use to hold that stuff together is any better for your lungs.

Make proper PPE a part of the job when you bid it out to the subs. Either they adhere to the rules or they walk.

Great comment about the LP dust, when we use the LP the dust plumes aren't nearly as big. Maybe half the size, I need to take some photos of the two for comparison. I think that because LP is wood the dust and chips fall to the ground faster due to the weight of the cutting remains. At least that is what the crews that work for other companies are telling me, (I need to take some photos). We will see... We tried the sheers and the quality of the cut is not nearly as clean and is a pain when it comes to ripping a few inches off of a plank that is 12' long. Now, would not a wet saw be nice for JH?

I know Festool makes a blade for my TS55, but I just can't bring myself to use the saw on such material. I would bet though teamed with a CT extractor, it would capture 95% if the dust.

I can cut MDF in my basement and it gets 95% of the dust, and MDF dust is the pits...