question about air handler size

hvacwoes

I posted under hydro heat about my problems with my new trane system. They continue

My air handler model is TAM7A0B30H21sc

does this it is a 2.5 ton or 3 ton. My quote was for 3 ton.

AC is 3 ton

thanks

Check with Trane. It is not uncommon for air handlers to be rated for use with more than one size condensing unit.

the outdoor unit is model number 4TTR3036E1000A. is this compatible with the indoor unit?

Somebody from Trane came home , checked the system and said

1. this air handler is creating the necessary air flow of 1200

2. This is more efficient in dehumidifying the air in summer

are these correct?

What is the cost of the 2.5 ton vs 3 ton , i need to get reimbursed and would like to have this knowledge when i argue with Lowes

Thanks for all the help

the outdoor unit is model number 4TTR3036E1000A. is this compatible with the indoor unit?

are these correct?

What is the cost of the 2.5 ton vs 3 ton , i need to get reimbursed and would like to have this knowledge when i argue with Lowes

Thanks for all the help

If A contractor who works for Lowes installed it I doubt than anything about the installation is correct.

are these correct?

Thanks for all the help

If A contractor who works for Lowes installed it I doubt than anything about the installation is correct.

That's a safe bet.

As for the guy from Trane:

1)How in the heck does he know fer sure that there's 1,200 CFM flowing through the air handler? Did he test it with a balometer or something?

2) A lower air flow rate shifts your btu/hr from cooling the air to removing humidity but if you drop it too much, you'll have problems with the coil making ice.

Marc

The model # for the outdoor unit is not on the chart that lists compatibility with the 2.5 ton indoor unit. I have never seen any manufacturer list an indoor unit at a smaller capacity than the outdoor unit.

You also need to have manufacturer listed compatible indoor and outdoor units to show that the system meets the minimum SEER rating.

The indoor unit being a half ton larger than outdoors is often acceptable. I'm told that arrangement might be slightly better at dehumidifying the air.

Did the guy from Trane show a company ID, or is it the contractors buddy?

It is depressing to hear about the Lowes contractor

"If A contractor who works for Lowes installed it I doubt than anything about the installation is correct."

The guy from trane did not show a company ID- what was I thinking !!

he was brought by Tane territory manager. said that this guy is the one for the entire Richmond region and trains all the installers.I have no idea what to believe.

How do i find out "manufacturer listed compatible unit?"

Thanks again. i have no idea when all this will end. The stress is too much

are these correct?

Thanks for all the help

That's a safe bet.

As for the guy from Trane:

1)How in the heck does he know fer sure that there's 1,200 CFM flowing through the air handler? Did he test it with a balometer or something?

2) A lower air flow rate shifts your btu/hr from cooling the air to removing humidity but if you drop it too much, you'll have problems with the coil making ice.

Marc

I don't know how he knew about this. They took measurements

Is this not how this is done? there are all kinds of tables in the brochures about flow, temp etc

Sounds like the 'Train guy' is defending the contractor and you're without technical representation on this issue.

If I were you, I'd rely upon the model number of the outside section to get the correct tonnage, use the tables to confirm that the indoor section is properly sized to the outdoor section then hope that the TVX and/or piston installed on the indoor coil is properly sized to the outdoor section. The size of the TVX and/or piston is a choice on many indoor coils. It allows a contractor to tweak the thermodynamic characteristics of the indoor coil a little and there is quick and easy access to it before the system is first charged with refrigerant.

I would not rely only upon the model number on the indoor section to make a final determination of rated tonnage.

Opinion will vary.

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

I need more information about your install, and some photos of the outside of the house to see its basic construction would be nice. I need to know if you have a basement and if it is conditioned. If the basement is conditioned is it part of the cooling system or does it just have a dehumidifier and what is the square footage of your house. Does the house have good insulation and if possible what is the ratting of the insulation.

The equipment you have is a possible match depending upon the information from the Manual J load calculation.

The indoor air handler is a positive pressure unit with a computer controlled expansion valve or EEV and is rated for 30,000 BTUh the out door unit is a 36,000 BTUh but has a compressor that only puts out 32,000 BTUh. So if the unit has a lot of vertical tubing say 25 feet or more it is going to take away some BTU.

Now if the unit is not preforming properly they may not have programmed it right or it may be the wrong size equipment.

Sam