Fine trim work

The odd corner I choose to miter still needs files and planes to get a decent fit.

Tom

Don't mean to raise your hackles, but that's because you didn't set up the corner before you started cutting for it, or your saw is not calibrated, or you cut it flat and didn't have the correct compound set, or you cut it on an angle but weren't careful of whether it was on the fence correctly.

Another common mistake that can screw things up is when people try to close the gaps between the ceiling and the molding. Leave it alone. Run a bead of caulk into the gap and it will disappear. Pushing it tight makes the crown look like a snake and can open the joint. Coped or not.

I wouldn't dream of showing up without my coping saw for baseboard, chair rail and some other stuff. It's a must have for that.

It's all fun and games til you step into the ring with a real life schedule and a 1"x 12" slab of maple.[;)]

Let's face it. Ben does have the nicest tools.

I like barrel handle jigs over d handles. I use a Bosch because the damn thing won't break, if it did, I'd have a festool. Those things are spooky nice.

I've never advised anyone on what they do wrong or right on a trim job. Some of the best guys I know have their own ways to do it that sound ridiculous but work great.